scratched glass

lizardfishman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Oregon
anybody know how to remove scratches from a glass tank? also, could you seal a crack in the bottom of a glass tank with silicone if not, what could you use

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
There are some automotive scratch repair products, i assume they would work on aquarium glass too. If i find a link of the stuff i will post it, otherwise ask an auto-glass shop.

toxicfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan
sleepyflight said:
I've seen cracks patched by using a plate of glass that will cover it entirely and siliconing it in completely so the plate top is sealed on top.
until the crack grows beyond the plate from the pressure

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
As sleepyflight said a good way to patch the bottom plate of a tank is to overlay it with a pane of glass. I did this once with a tank I had cracked by dropping a rock into it. the original glass was all there but there were several long cracks, I siliconed in a piece of window glass that I trimmed to fit edge to edge insde the tank, The 1/4" glass was not strong enough to stand up on it's own as a bottom plate but it worked great to hold the original glass in place.

I have never had a problem with a scratched glass tank but saw a large one that was repaied professionally by being lap polished in place, it was a big one, something like 800 gallons. They repolished the front plate, I doubt it was cheap but definitely cheaper than replacing the tank.

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
i sure you have to give it time to cure

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
Taz2478 said:
shops are kind of crazy right now with hurricane repairs. Do you think I could find this or something like it at Home Depot or some other type of store?
maybe at a glass store or a automotive store like checkers or auto zone

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store