Senegal bichir and rays?

monsterK

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2023
So I have a 8 inch Senegal bichir that my wife really likes. I'm getting my 400 gallon set up with some bass and 2 smaller rays. Would he be ok with them in there? Or really can't tell.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
I have no experience on this matter myself but I’ve seen cases where the ray stings a Bichir accidentally (or not), causing it to die. I think it’s def a risk but if the stocking is relatively low and each species is able to keep to theirselves probably doable. Hopefully other people who have kept this combo successfully or unsuccessfully can comment!

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Like Rayfishowner said above, I have no personal experience on this matter, but I've seen many successful tanks on here with stringrays and bichirs together. With minimal stocking I think you will be safe. Just keep an eye on them to make sure nobody is bullying him.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
It'll really come down to the sizing and personality/temperament of each fish. I've seen many success stories. I've also seen bichirs deathrolling/dragging rays around. I've also seen rays pinning bichirs down (drowning them), stinging them with their barbs. It'll definitely be trial and error for the most part.

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
senegal will be too small to go with rays. if still small it's feasible but not long term as senegal will just be noodles for stingrays. you better off going for a bigger variant bichir like endli or ornate. I have kept bigger rays and bichir and have not seen aggression towards each other - just the seldom rays going on top of bichirs on feeding time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store