Should I have other species of fish with my two EBJD?

sean2024

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2024
Maine
I think alot of cichlids are the funniest thing lol. Theyre just like dogs all territorial lol 😂 monnnnstttahhhhhh feeeeeiiiisssshhhh. Haha

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Okay ill stick with two. I have a bunch of green fake plants to that look natural i can replace. I thought the blue plants would match them great. The gravel matches them exactly tho i love it. I think im gonna replace the gravel with sand tho. I read sand seems to be the first choice for them
Nah, it's your tank; do what make you happy as long as it's not harmful it's all good. EBJD's are fine with gravel, there's no need to switch to sand if you don't like it. As for the plants the color doesn't matter, I just wanted you to place them, so it breaks up the line of sight between the hides. Hopefully to mitigate aggression between the EBJD. It'll also hopefully help act as territory markers.

Reactions: sean2024

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
In the wild, yes I know EBJD are a line produced color variant, but in the wild JDS live with live barer such as Swordtails, Molly's.
My pair, EBJD male normal female lived with a school of 15 bloodfin Tetras and never bothered them. The tetras always swimming about gave then courage to be out more.
20171204_021712.jpg20171110_194534.jpg20170921_200504.jpg20171203_172004.jpg

I ended up giving the male to a fellow MFKer, and he was the father of many generations of both EBJD, and platinum JDS
14EC33E4-177B-4996-9E81-5F17A6041330.jpeg.jpg
Same male @8 inches in length years later.

sean2024

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2024
Maine
In the wild, yes I know EBJD are a line produced color variant, but in the wild JDS live with live barer such as Swordtails, Molly's.
My pair, EBJD male normal female lived with a school of 15 bloodfin Tetras and never bothered them. The tetras always swimming about gave then courage to be out more.
View attachment 1539630View attachment 1539632View attachment 1539633View attachment 1539631

I ended up giving the male to a fellow MFKer, and he was the father of many generations of both EBJD, and platinum JDS
View attachment 1539634
Same male @8 inches in length years later.
So beautiful 😍 im so excited to get mine!!

sean2024

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2024
Maine
Nah, it's your tank; do what make you happy as long as it's not harmful it's all good. EBJD's are fine with gravel, there's no need to switch to sand if you don't like it. As for the plants the color doesn't matter, I just wanted you to place them, so it breaks up the line of sight between the hides. Hopefully to mitigate aggression between the EBJD. It'll also hopefully help act as territory markers.
Okay, sounds good! I split both sides of line sight between both sides of the tank. Thank you! I think that’ll definitely help with aggression.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
The EBJD is not exactly a line bred strain it is a genetic color morph. Much like albino's leucistic, xanthic, axanthic, erythrism, etc. Line bred strains produce whatever trait they were line bred to reproduce like Tiger Oscars. You breed 2 Tiger Oscars you get all Tiger Oscars, perhaps varying degrees of quality but all Tiger Oscar nonetheless. Line breeding is when we breed certain fish that express certain traits more than others. The traits still exist in the animal but to a lesser extent, so we breed those that express that trait more to each other and over time the trait is expressed more. We did this with dogs to an extreme. We bred for shorter muzzles, shorter legs, longer legs, long hair, short, hair, curly hair, no hair etc, etc. That's why there are so many breeds of dogs.

As mentioned a male EBJD's produced Platinum JDS which is another genetic color morph namely Leucism. When you breed EBJD's you get a mix of offspring. This is because EBJD is a recessive trait so only fish that have both recessive traits from both parents will express the color while the other offspring will simply be carriers of the recessive trait. Which is why if you get normal looking offspring from a EBJD but breed it to another normal looking EBJD from the same parents they will produce some EBJD fry. It's a genetic trait that was basically trashed by mother nature because it hindered survival so the trait in this particular case was made recessive. Unfortunately, this "Junk" DNA is often times tied to other undesirable traits which is why EBJD's used to be so fragile. Since then, we did infuse more DNA to try to stabilize or offset the undesirable traits which is why some EBJD's can produce platinum fry. So to that extent it can be considered line bred as well.

I only mention it because if you S sean2024 want to breed them in the future it's important to understand the fundamentals of the genetics of EBJD's. As I mentioned those normal looking fry are carriers of that genetic trait and therefore are valuable if you want to produce more EBJD offspring or if you sell them to others interested in breeding EBJD's. It's also good because you can trade them to other EBJD breeders for their offspring to help diversify the gene pool and help in avoiding genetic defects that on top of the the recessive trait that would come from inbreeding your own stock.

sean2024

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2024
Maine
Okay, sounds good! I split both sides of line sight between both sides of the tank. Thank you! I think that’ll definitely help with aggression.
The EBJD is not exactly a line bred strain it is a genetic color morph. Much like albino's leucistic, xanthic, axanthic, erythrism, etc. Line bred strains produce whatever trait they were line bred to reproduce like Tiger Oscars. You breed 2 Tiger Oscars you get all Tiger Oscars, perhaps varying degrees of quality but all Tiger Oscar nonetheless. Line breeding is when we breed certain fish that express certain traits more than others. The traits still exist in the animal but to a lesser extent, so we breed those that express that trait more to each other and over time the trait is expressed more. We did this with dogs to an extreme. We bred for shorter muzzles, shorter legs, longer legs, long hair, short, hair, curly hair, no hair etc, etc. That's why there are so many breeds of dogs.

As mentioned a male EBJD's produced Platinum JDS which is another genetic color morph namely Leucism. When you breed EBJD's you get a mix of offspring. This is because EBJD is a recessive trait so only fish that have both recessive traits from both parents will express the color while the other offspring will simply be carriers of the recessive trait. Which is why if you get normal looking offspring from a EBJD but breed it to another normal looking EBJD from the same parents they will produce some EBJD fry. It's a genetic trait that was basically trashed by mother nature because it hindered survival so the trait in this particular case was made recessive. Unfortunately, this "Junk" DNA is often times tied to other undesirable traits which is why EBJD's used to be so fragile. Since then, we did infuse more DNA to try to stabilize or offset the undesirable traits which is why some EBJD's can produce platinum fry. So to that extent it can be considered line bred as well.

I only mention it because if you S sean2024 want to breed them in the future it's important to understand the fundamentals of the genetics of EBJD's. As I mentioned those normal looking fry are carriers of that genetic trait and therefore are valuable if you want to produce more EBJD offspring or if you sell them to others interested in breeding EBJD's. It's also good because you can trade them to other EBJD breeders for their offspring to help diversify the gene pool and help in avoiding genetic defects that on top of the the recessive trait that would come from inbreeding your own stock.
wow, thats good to know. Thank you. I would love to breed them, they’re beautiful fish with great personalities. So free and pretty peaceful. I just got mine today. Turns out, i didnt have to buy tetras because my mother had 5 tetras in her tank perfectly healthy. So i put thise tetras in there last night, as well as 3 little xray fish. Then today i introduced the two EBJD’s. Great so far. Weird thing tho, one of the tetras are shaking?!?? Like its cold, i looked it up and he may have shivvers? Either that or its giving birth which i hope the heck not lmao. I do not want a bunch of tetras in there haha. Its been in the same exact spot doing it and right underneath it, is a circle made through the gravel right down to the glass. So it might be the case lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store