Silver arowana bloating but eating fine

Helion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2019
Have you tested your water?
No
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
51-60%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hi everyone. I need some suggestions regarding my silver arowana health.
Since 4-5 days my silver arowana's stomach started buling.
It is gradually progressive. I am changing its water
routinely(50% per week). She is eating fine is active. But i m worried about this bulge
Anyone knows what is going on with my fish.

20240413_224228.jpg

20240413_224217.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi everyone. I need some suggestions regarding my silver arowana health.
Since 4-5 days my silver arowana's stomach started buling.
It is gradually progressive. I am changing its water
routinely(50% per week). She is eating fine is active. But i m worried about this bulge
Anyone knows what is going on with my fish.

View attachment 1540048

View attachment 1540049
How long have you had the Arowana?
What are you feeding the Arowana?

Reactions: Helion and kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Maybe reduce your feeding to every other day for now. Or Atleast soaking in an Epsom salt solution.

Helion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2019
Just noticed today her poop has become whitish in colour
Does this indicate git infection

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Just noticed today her poop has become whitish in colour
Does this indicate git infection
Could be parasite and/or constipation. Think cut back on feedings and use epsom salt solution if needed.

Reactions: Helion and tlindsey

Helion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2019
Can u please guide me through the use of salt in aquarium
I have used it for salt baths before but never mixed in aquarium

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Can u please guide me through the use of salt in aquarium
I have used it for salt baths before but never mixed in aquarium
Ok not a prob. Can try the alternate feeding for now.
If not then try 3% solution of Magnesium sulphate, add 1 level tablespoon (15 grams) magnesium sulphate to 500 milliliters of distilled water.

Alternatively can try 1/2 cup distilled water mixed with 3/4 teaspoon of epsom salt.

Reactions: tlindsey

Helion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2019
Update day 4
No change in condition of the bump
I tried adding epsom salt
Fed metrogyl 200mg
Fish is still active and eating.
Any other alternative to suggest

thiswasgone

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
IMO the best steps to follow are:

1) Stop feeding any non-medicated food

2) Collect and test/check the poop under a microscope to check for parasites and/or high gram-negative bacteria count.

2a) If parasites are confirmed determine the type of parasite and create a targeted medicated food & feed based on a schedule
- Depending on the type of parasite, ensure you clean out any poop within every 24hours of feeding the fish to kill the parasite's lifecycle​
- A 2-4 month treatment plan may be required, depending on the type of parasite, for 100% certainity the parasite is gone from your system. Only way to avoid this is to remove your fish after a successful initial treatment then bleach your entire system to kill any remaining eggs; this will result in having to restart your cycle.
2b) If high gram-negative bacteria count is confirmed treat with food medicated with wide-spectrum antibiotics (Maracyn 2, KanaPlex, etc at 1-5% of the food's weight in grams) unless you can confirm the specific species & know how to search for research papers for specific treatments.

3a) If parasites & high gram-negative bacteria count are not confirmed treat with food medicated with only epsom salt (1-5% of the food's weight in grams) every 2-3 days to clear any blockage as it's a strong laxative

3b) If both parasites & high gram-negative bacteria count are confirmed treat with food medicated for specific parasite type & an antibiotic
- both medication should be mixed at 1-5% of the food's weight in grams individually; e.g. 100g of food would be treated with 5g of Maracyn 2 and 5g of Metro if treating for hexamita & bacteria infection); follow subsection of 2a to kill lifecycle of the parasite.​

Things to note:
- Almost all medication for fish is more effective in food than in the water column; the main exception to this are treatments for external diseases.

- Whiteness in poop is the mucus from the intestines and is typically indicative of an illness but it could also be nothing espeically without additional symptoms.

- If you don't own or know how to use a microscope you can do a shotgun approach of medicated food but do not use epsom salt unless you are treating the fish ONLY for constipation. With a shotgun approach you should clean the poop within 24hrs on the chance it is internal parasites.

- Most internal bacteria infection in fish will be gram-negative so that is what most antibacterial fish medications will treat.

- Most gram-negative bacteria that could cause an infection will always be present in your waters, unless you can replicate labratory settings, so avoid abusing antibiotics as much as possible.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next best thing is to take an educated guess:
1) Was the water quality poor?
2) Was the a change in environment, food, etc. that could have caused the fish immense stress?

If no to both it's unlikely to be a disease.

If yes to both then the sky's the limit to what disease it could be. Fixing the water quality is paramount before giving medicated food in a shotgun approach if symptoms are not obvious. If symptoms are present and identifiable then target medicate the most likely causes.

If yes to 1 but not 2 then it's definitely a disease likely due to a weaken immune system which would likely be a bacterial infection. This is 100% the case if there was no live animal that was introduced into the tank and you don't use well water.

If no to 1 but yes to 2 then both a bacterial infection and parasite is possible depending on what was changed. Any usage of a live animal as food or tankmate may have resulted in parasites + stress; stress could result in an infection in the worst case scenario. If no live animal was introduced then it's either an internal infection due to a weakened/stressed immune system or constipation due to stress.

HTH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store