skimmer & overflow

catfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2004
michigan
does anyone have a good guide as to how to build a skimmer and overflow. i understand how build the rest of the wet/dry filter but the skimmer and overflow part really confuses me

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
:iagree:

The problem you have with building the over flows is if the part inside the tank leaks you will get lots of water on the floor because instead of your water level being one inch below the top it will be 6 inchs below the top and on a large tank thats a LOT of water.

If you can't get a good deal on some locally PM me and I'll see what I can do.

reefman

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
In front of my tanks
the way to go is have your tank drilled and have a piece of pvc go to the top of your tank and viola you have your self a over flow

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
but what to do if your tank is already set up? I don't want to tear down a tank and have it drilled.....if they break it YOU own ALL the pieces. :angryfire

I3u11he4d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Michigan
repair said:
but what to do if your tank is already set up? I don't want to tear down a tank and have it drilled.....if they break it YOU own ALL the pieces. :angryfire
You would be better off droppin the 70 or so dollars,itll cost you close to that to biuld one including time.if your talkin about hang on over flow.plus itll be rated for gph so you can match the pump.for a new tank it would not be to bad,you LFS should be able to set you up with tank drilling and internal over flow for less than 100 bucks.

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
I3u11he4d said:
You would be better off droppin the 70 or so dollars,itll cost you close to that to biuld one including time.if your talkin about hang on over flow.plus itll be rated for gph so you can match the pump.for a new tank it would not be to bad,you LFS should be able to set you up with tank drilling and internal over flow for less than 100 bucks.
100 bucks? not in this state.

I3u11he4d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Michigan
repair said:
100 bucks? not in this state.
Thats to bad,I priced out my 90 gal for an IOF at my LFS(Preuss's pets)and said they could do it for 80 bucks/drilled w/overflow i.e. they make thier own in shop.I was not able to because my tank is all tempered glass,never even thought of that when I bought it,but the price was right,it only cost me $75 for it.oh yeah for an extra 10 spot they come to my house and do it there. :thumbsup:

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
SWEET...I can't find anyone to do it...thought about buying the bit my self but I get conflicting advice.....

Anyone ever done it or know where to but the equiptment?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store