south american or african??

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
P45, were you implying the notion that the African Lakes species of Cichlids are far more evolved then SA? I remember reading that they are far up the evolutionary time-scale, and they have evolved much faster then South American Cichlids..

Not trying to disregard your comment at all..

But wouldn't that make the South American Cichlids, older and wiser? While the Africans, after being isolated for so many years, have become slim in the genetics department, and have developed behaviors which portray more 'simple' creatures, such as mice.

Or perhaps the Africans have grown smarter with time, and are like humans where they increasingly become more intelligent.

Or perhaps, that could be an entirely stupid thought..

:lol:

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
I like African Cichlids better they seem easy to take care of and easy to maintain in my tapwater. I have an African Cichlid tank so I guess I just grew fond of them!!

Dykemyster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2005
I have kept all kinds of cichlids from all over the world and my favorite by far are african cichlids!

I do appreciate them all but as far as what I like best there is just no question - African Cichlids all the way.

As far as African Monster fish go there are a bunch.

If you want to learn more about some of them try looking up some of the following genus' on the internet:

Buccochromis
Champsochromis
Protomelas
Dimidiochromis
Oreochromis
Fossorochromis
Ramphochromis
Tyrannachromis (MFK folks gotta love this name!)
Nimbochromis
Bathybates
Serranochromis
Sargochromis
Lepidiolamprologus
Cyphotilapia
Benthochromis
Petrochromis
Boulengerochromis
Exochochromis
Linchnochromis
Plecodus
Aristochromis
Haplochromis vittatus (named species on this one to make it easy)

There are even more than I listed but just because the smaller and somewhat more colorful african cichlids are what you normally see doesn't mean there aren't any monsters from Africa.

My largest monster is a 14" (TL) F0 Buccochromis rhoadesii named "Baby". He is in a tank with lots of 4"-8" Aulonocara and other Haplochromines from Lake Malawi and gets along great with them. I would guess to say that doing something like this with a predator from SA would much harder to accomplish.

Best Fish Wishes!
Erik

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store