Size
Tank Size
Temperment

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I've seen the kept in everything from fresh to full salt water. They see to do best about 1.015 or so. Mine all got to be around 4" or so, and were kept in a 55. They don't need lots of room, but like any fish, the more you have, the better they'll do.

As for temperment, they are fin biters. I've even seem some groups eat feeder fish.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Can they be kept in groups? Because I read that they might be aggressive towards each other as well.

clare

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2005
Grimsby, England
Weve got ours in with figure 8 puffers and given the size difference we have no problems.

rweedon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
pullman washington
these are a brackish water species no matter what anyone tells you they should not be kept with figger 8's as they are freshwater all of the ones that I have kept have all eaten goldfish so they are really mean but I have seen them kept with mono argenteus and sebae... so it seems it can really vary on the temperament between individual fish I think that they should be kept in 1.015 as juvies and then even moved to full saltwater as adults as they would do in the wild...

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for all the input. I'm actually asking for a friend. I just gave him and his wife a full 10g set up. I had it at work, but I'm going to be starting a new carreer by the new year and I doubt I can have a tank in the kitchen of a restaurant. He was interested in puffers, mainly the spotted puffers. I just wanted to make sure I was giving him the right advice. And it would just be 1 to 3 puffers. I'm telling him if he got 3, he would need to up grade. He's actually thinking of join this site as well.

rweedon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
pullman washington
tell him to get the gold green freshwater puffer's for a ten gallon tank he can have like a dozen of them cool lil guys we keep them with golden white clouds at the store it is a favorite tank of customers...

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
We looked at those and he wasn't impressed. He said they don't even look like puffers to him because you can't see their fins.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
ice-dragon said:
u could drop them from salt water to pure freshwater without fazing them

Does that mean they don't need to be acclimated?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store