Stingray Pup having difficulty in Defecation/pooping

WARCRAFT

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2011
Hi everyone,

I recently (3 days ago) purchased a 5inch motoro stingray Pup. from the first day it accepted bloodworms/red worms.
Day 2 - it did eat few worms and it defecated a hard chunk type of a poop in the morning time. There after it began to poop stringgy long poop which are brown in colour. Ray swims and flashes it's disc and pelvic fins to remove it but it does not fall easily it remains hanging for long periods of time and there will be a small amount a patch remaining even after the long stringgy poop falls out.

* * * Is it fine to use epsom salt to treat this or anything else you would recommend.
(It's not accepting shrimps or any fish pieces yet and the seller also told they fed bloodworms/red worms)

* I have posted 2 photos of the faeces/poop

received_1079554493026540.jpeg

received_635855248493829.jpeg

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
Hi everyone,

I recently (3 days ago) purchased a 5inch motoro stingray Pup. from the first day it accepted bloodworms/red worms.
Day 2 - it did eat few worms and it defecated a hard chunk type of a poop in the morning time. There after it began to poop stringgy long poop which are brown in colour. Ray swims and flashes it's disc and pelvic fins to remove it but it does not fall easily it remains hanging for long periods of time and there will be a small amount a patch remaining even after the long stringgy poop falls out.

* * * Is it fine to use epsom salt to treat this or anything else you would recommend.
(It's not accepting shrimps or any fish pieces yet and the seller also told they fed bloodworms/red worms)

* I have posted 2 photos of the faeces/poop

View attachment 1522714

View attachment 1522715
I’m not sure but it could be parasites?

Reactions: WARCRAFT

Austin1234

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
UT
I don’t want to give you the wrong advice here but long brown Curley poop is pretty normal I think. Is it bloated? To get my pups onto different foods I just chop up some worms (nightcrawers) in a small cup and stir the small fish chunks or pellets or whatever around in the guts/worm chunks and they eat it. Make sure the pieces you feed are small enough it doesn’t have to chew or work hard to get it down

WARCRAFT

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2011
I don’t want to give you the wrong advice here but long brown Curley poop is pretty normal I think. Is it bloated? To get my pups onto different foods I just chop up some worms (nightcrawers) in a small cup and stir the small fish chunks or pellets or whatever around in the guts/worm chunks and they eat it. Make sure the pieces you feed are small enough it doesn’t have to chew or work hard to get it down
It's not bloated, it's eating tubifex worms from the day I got ( bigger ones which are 1" long and not much interested in the thin smaller size tubifex worms). It chews them for some time and gulps. I started feeding it morning and evening so to make it hungry and develop some appetite. I tried shrimp pieces and tilapia even soaked and mixed with worms but it's just coming on top and bites 1 or 2 times and rolls it off.
and yesterday I started treating with metro and she had pooped a lot of that type of poop.

* * * * Here's what she's eating the bigger Tubifex worms which are inside the cluster

IMG_20230721_122846.jpg

IMG_20230721_122819.jpg

Austin1234

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
UT
If it’s eating and pooping it’s probably okay. I would guess. But I would start trying to work it onto other foods, are you cutting the worms up and mixing with tilapia or shrimp? I think the guts and juices soaking into the fish are what make it appealing. I also make sure to make the pieces very small where there isn’t much chewing involved they almost just swallow it with minimal effort.

WARCRAFT

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2011
If it’s eating and pooping it’s probably okay. I would guess. But I would start trying to work it onto other foods, are you cutting the worms up and mixing with tilapia or shrimp? I think the guts and juices soaking into the fish are what make it appealing. I also make sure to make the pieces very small where there isn’t much chewing involved they almost just swallow it with minimal effort.
Yeah, I did the same today cut the shrimp pieces to tiny portions and added one worm and crushed it till a watery liquid. The ray was not fed from yesterday night and it jumped on the piece and chewed and just threw away.
So I haven't fed it whole day today and trying it again tomorrow morning. Even I hate feeding these worms and it's a darn hassle for me too. Hope this one will accept shrimp soon.

Austin1234

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
UT
Well I would just keep feeding it the worms often and plenty. get some fat built up. then you would dare hold food back a day or two and really push the other foods a little harder. I would also keep trying to feed shrimp along with the worms in the meantime.

WARCRAFT

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2011
Well I would just keep feeding it the worms often and plenty. get some fat built up. then you would dare hold food back a day or two and really push the other foods a little harder. I would also keep trying to feed shrimp along with the worms in the meantime.
Yeah will try that, I'm gonna try till day after tomorrow with no worms only shrimp in worm chow and if it doesn't work will continue worms again for few days to fatten her up and start again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store