Stocking ~200 gallon office corner tank

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
So I finally get to fulfill my dream of having a large (tax-deductible) tank in my own dental office!

I have a couple companies working on quotes for different shapes, but it will def be a corner tank, 48"x 48" x 30". Just not sure if it will be curved (quarter cylinder), or triangular/pentagonal. Leaning towards non-curved even before I see the prices, since I'm a bit worried about distortion as well.

As far as stock, I am leaning towards geos with a few other cichlids, but open to suggestions. I def want at least one large fish, but I don't want to go the route of all aggressive cichlids.

These are the species I've narrowed it down to, but how would you stock it?

Large Cichlid:
Robertsoni
Synspilum
Oscar (prob not a good idea?)
Red Spotted Severum

Medium Cichlids:
EBJD
Blue Acara
Nicaraguense
Sajica

Geos:
Orange Head Tapajos
Maybe an Altifrons, Heckelli, or couple Winemilleri mixed in

Dithers:
No idea
A 5'2" secretary wearing a mermaid outfit :p

TheLorax

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Houston, TX
Hmm, I appreciate the honest tips. That's the first time I've been told my stocking idea is too sparce, so I can't tell if you're sarcastic, haha.

To recap, it will be 6 Geophagus Tapajos, 4 Retroculus Lapidifer, 2 sajica, 1 blue acara, and 1 bocourti, as well as some schooling fish.

I really want a large cichlid or two, I think I will still try the bocourti if they don't eat anubias and java fern. I'd be open to something else, but it seems like any large cichlid other than a Chocolate or Psiticcus (which I don't like) would be risky in my peacefull-ish tank, either for aggression/destruction issues or herbivorous tendencies.

If the bocourti eats my plants, at least I'll be free to get severums after that.

Last edited:

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
I have a synspilum in a planted tank. Everyone told me that was a bad idea. I've heard the floating log argument before as well. Generally biased opinions are wrong. He's never touched a plant. I actually have a hard time getting him to eat his vegetables. Tons of personality and he's super peaceful. I can't recommend Vieja's enough. They're beautiful, interactive, and more peaceful than any other cichlid that size.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Well you covered all my recommendations for larger more peacefull cichlids in that last post. I've resently fell in love with some chocolates but if you don't like them then that's a no go and you already said you'd do severums if the plants go. Still say you're living the dream with that tank. Gl on however it turns out.

TheLorax

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Houston, TX
I forgot about synsipilum, maybe I'll try one, they look nice. Chocolates are okay, I've kept one before that had a cool personality, used to wait for food at the surface and loved crickets. But then I got another later that was boring and drab. I might get one but I'd prefer something more colorful.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I also have a pearsei and was told no plants but like i said he doesnt mess with the annubias or jf. Bocourti are beautiful.

I dont think anything is wrong with your stock....it will show off the bocourti or whatever centerpiece fish even more. And maybe possibly easier to maintain being understock a bit

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
Hmm, I appreciate the honest tips. That's the first time I've been told my stocking idea is too sparce, so I can't tell if you're sarcastic, haha.

To recap, it will be 6 Geophagus Tapajos, 4 Retroculus Lapidifer, 2 sajica, 1 blue acara, and 1 bocourti, as well as some schooling fish.

I really want a large cichlid or two, I think I will still try the bocourti if they don't eat anubias and java fern. I'd be open to something else, but it seems like any large cichlid other than a Chocolate or Psiticcus (which I don't like) would be risky in my peacefull-ish tank, either for aggression/destruction issues or herbivorous tendencies.

If the bocourti eats my plants, at least I'll be free to get severums after that.
I was joking. But with retroculus lapidifer, beware. They need ALOT of circulation, extremely clean water (something along the lines of RODI with nitrate levels at 0-10) and they are very prone to just dying out of nowhere. Not to mention they're extremely slow growers. It's just carrying a box of unstable explosives for 10 miles, make one little mistake, and it goes boom.I recommend Satanoperca like Daemon or Mapiritensis. For schooling fish, I suppose some Columbian tetras would be ok, since they grow to be quite large. The acara and bucourti would probably destroy the lapidifer anyways. I kept one of my retroculus xinguensis with a satanoperca mapiritensis, the mapiritensis bit his head off and the xinguensis was swimming around and acting normal with only half its head for 5 minutes before dying.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store