Stocking a 300 gallon - advice/ideas

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Not doing oscars. See other thread. Haha.

Why ditch the delhezi? Size related?

Odoe looks cool.
Yes, delhezi don’t get big enough, although I had a del with an ornate, endi, weeksii, lap, odoe, forskali tiger and 3 red tailed cuda…I seriously don’t recommend it

You could probably have a shoal of gold wolf fish i that tank, those are really active for wolf fish along with a couple armored cats like granulosus. The odoe may work with those too, it did for me, but it’s a risk

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
A single red tailed giant gourami, as already mentioned, would be a good choice. I had one, he passed very recently. He was in a busy community tank as you can see from the video below. He was quite a character, no trouble whatsoever.

Reactions: Joshuakahan

pisanoal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2024
A single red tailed giant gourami, as already mentioned, would be a good choice. I had one, he passed very recently. He was in a busy community tank as you can see from the video below. He was quite a character, no trouble whatsoever.

What are the lightblueish/gray fish with the black spot on their tail?

pisanoal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2024
My current thought on stocking list

Giant red tail gourami
Ornate Bichir
Delhezi Bichir (maybe needs to be rehomed?)
Large shoal of either spotted, tiger or red hook silver dollars (at least 12)

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
My current thought on stocking list

Giant red tail gourami
Ornate Bichir
Delhezi Bichir (maybe needs to be rehomed?)
Large shoal of either spotted, tiger or red hook silver dollars (at least 12)
I’d replace the del with an endi or lap, something larger and more aggressive at feeding time. Dels can be passive eaters and SDs are frenzied eaters.
You can also feed at night or use a tube

pisanoal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2024
I’d replace the del with an endi or lap, something larger and more aggressive at feeding time. Dels can be passive eaters and SDs are frenzied eaters.
You can also feed at night or use a tube
I've noticed that with my del. He is pretty passive. I was already planning a tube with the SD feeding frenzy.

I think I'll try with the del and if I have issues, I'll rehome him. I don't want to start there if I don't have to.

Any issues with sds and gourami? Not a ton of info, but at least one situation where the gourami chased sds, but that was in a 55 gallon and not a shoal

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I've noticed that with my del. He is pretty passive. I was already planning a tube with the SD feeding frenzy.

I think I'll try with the del and if I have issues, I'll rehome him. I don't want to start there if I don't have to.

Any issues with sds and gourami? Not a ton of info, but at least one situation where the gourami chased sds, but that was in a 55 gallon and not a shoal
Giant gouramis can be hit or miss, I’ve heard the albinos are less aggressive, but I’m not speaking from experience. Ya try it with the del if you like it, just have a back up plan. I think you could still add more polys either way in that size tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store