Jun 20, 2014
Canada, BC
Hello, I have a 50 gallon tank with
Fluval 405 (100 US gallon) canister filter
Current fish;
1x Banded cichlid (Golden Severum) 8-8.5 inches
1x Torpedo Barb (Roseilene Shark) 4 inches
1x Electric Blue Crayfish
1x Some sort of Geophagus 4 inches, sold under Red headed tapjos, however looking at pictures it seems my little guy resembles brachybranchus.
(Thinking of returning to my LFS and giving him back)
Basically, Whats your imput?

My tank looks extremely empty and Im open to all options. How should I go? Community of smaller schooling fish, A couple smaller sized south/central american, or a variety of species of compatable fish? What specific fish would you recommend?

There is very little aggression in my tank, The severum has been housed with many different types of fish over the years and hasn't shown any aggression to any fish other then ones resembling himself (i.e Large yellow fish, with similar body shape.) The roseilene shark, since being by itself and not in a group it is alittle nippish at times, but only as to hold its own with the two cichlids. However i've noticed it has formed a bond with the geophagus and is quite happy and active. :)Thanks for your time
-Steven

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
What are the tank dimensions? 4 foot long? I would add more Roseline sharks since they are a schooling fish and look great together. You could probably add a couple rams or a school of cories for the bottom.

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
You could try other SA cichlids:blue acara,or others in that genus.roselines as a school would probably be crowded IMO.if you want a school maybe congo,or BA tetras.or wait
...lemons tetras

Reactions: SeymourAndHisCat

SeymourAndHisCat

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2014
Canada, BC
What are the tank dimensions? 4 foot long? I would add more Roseline sharks since they are a schooling fish and look great together. You could probably add a couple rams or a school of cories for the bottom.
Yes, 4 foot long :) when I got the rosilene shark it was bullying the others (mind it was in a small tank in the lfs) and they can get quite big so i couldnt do the recommended 5 for a group. He seems to be loving the privacy oddly enough. My crayfish would probably see the cories as a treat. What are some larger type of rams ? I know they are generally very small. Thanks for your In put :)

SeymourAndHisCat

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2014
Canada, BC
You could try other SA cichlids:blue acara,or others in that genus.roselines as a school would probably be crowded IMO.if you want a school maybe congo,or BA tetras.or wait
...lemons tetras
I've looked everywhere for blue acaras, I can never find any and my lfs tried to order tthem to no prevail. Not many places to order in Canada :( I've done a firemouth before and it worked great however I got the dreaded camilanus worms and lost him during the treatment) do you think I could do a firemouth and acara if I found one ? I have a 4 ft tank 50 gallon with 100 gallon canister filter. I would remove the geophagus (I'm planning to regardless)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store