Medina, Ohio
Sorry for your loss!

Reactions: Midwater

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
That's a heartbreaker; nothing is more guaranteed to get you second-guessing yourself and doubting whether you should be a fishkeeper, or questioning your own abilities and experience.

Hopefully you get a handle on what's going on here. Good luck.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
When you get some time look way back in the datnoid threads and you will come to a few discussions on NTT sudden death syndrome.The info there may shed some light on your situation.
Yes, there are many threads reporting SDS in NTT, but for no obvious reason.

I know the water conditions well. Virtually all NTTs come from the Mehkong River as it passes the North East of Thailand (not the North). It is a massive river, varying much in height and flow. Freshwater - absolutely not brackish. I have been up and down this stretch of water many times, and have heard of some large NTT being caught. However, in the trade, I have never seen one bigger than four inches. The two that died, and the one I have left, I grew out to about eight inches.

I used to keep ST - real ST at that time. It was easy to grow them out to fifteen inches, and then they would start to fatten out a lot. But they were quite hardy. Currently I have six IT and they are similar, some currently about nine inches. I have got a NGT and an AT as well. All doing well.

I thought I was doing well with the NTT too. I will try and get some more.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Sorry to hear. Maybe something wrong internally. These are captive bred, right? Possibly bad breeding some or a few bad fish.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I used to keep ST - real ST at that time. It was easy to grow them out to fifteen inches, and then they would start to fatten out a lot. But they were quite hardy. Currently I have six IT and they are similar, some currently about nine inches. I have got a NGT and an AT as well. All doing well.

I thought I was doing well with the NTT too. I will try and get some more.
Yes I've kept ST too,I've had a few of all of the known dat species over the years.I haven't had the luck or the pleasure of growing a NTT to a large size but I have seen photos of large captive specimens,a fellow member here had one that was around twelve inches but he stopped posting years ago.
Sadly,as beautiful as the thin bars become as they age I have sworn off getting any more due to their food pickyness and mortality rate.I will stick with indos from here on out and I currently have a nice group that I am quite satisfied with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store