sunken belly

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Hmm.

What's the lighting in the tank? Given there's one plant the fish probably doesn't feel secure. If I had to guess I would say the fish spooked, hit its back on the lid and got a lower spine dislocation.

Any pests (kids, dogs, cats, wives) in the house that could cause the fish to spook as they run past, tap the tank, or cause loud noises? How is the fish swimming? How often is it fed? Are you feeding the feeders? Malnutrition could possibly be a factor in this.

Richard203

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
Hmm.

What's the lighting in the tank? Given there's one plant the fish probably doesn't feel secure. If I had to guess I would say the fish spooked, hit its back on the lid and got a lower spine dislocation.

Any pests (kids, dogs, cats, wives) in the house that could cause the fish to spook as they run past, tap the tank, or cause loud noises? How is the fish swimming? How often is it fed? Are you feeding the feeders? Malnutrition could possibly be a factor in this.
the fish swim normal now doesn't have that curved spine after 3-4 days after the water changes. normally it have that when I finish changing the water.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
um can I use the seachem neutral buffer 7.0 powder on the bucket of water before adding it in the tank? and can I mix prime with the buffer? I live in sf,ca
I use the seachem discus buffer and had great success with it. I have water similar to yours but managed a few clutches of eggs with it before not adding it and killing the majority of the fish in the community. I used prime with it no problem.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
the fish swim normal now doesn't have that curved spine after 3-4 days after the water changes.
I'd treat with your preferred anti parasite med. It probably picked something up from the feeders.

Richard203

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
I use the seachem discus buffer and had great success with it. I have water similar to yours but managed a few clutches of eggs with it before not adding it and killing the majority of the fish in the community. I used prime with it no problem.
do u know how much do I add in a 5 gal bucket? since the bottle say 1 tablespoon for 10-20gallon. do I add half of the tablespoon or is it ok to add 1 tablespoon?

Richard203

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
I'd treat with your preferred anti parasite med. It probably picked something up from the feeders.
it only do that when I change the water everytime. I don't see it have the curved spine from not changing water. isn't if I have parasite the fish poop is white? but I see the poop brownish and dark color.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
do u know how much do I add in a 5 gal bucket? since the bottle say 1 tablespoon for 10-20gallon. do I add half of the tablespoon or is it ok to add 1 tablespoon?
1/2 tablespoon.
it only do that when I change the water everytime. I don't see it have the curved spine from not changing water. isn't if I have parasite the fish poop is white? but I see the poop brownish and dark color.
Idk about the curved spine. There's something wrong the digestive tract if the fish is properly eating and it's not gaining weight.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I've seen similar symptoms in other species and there are a few causes from genetics disorders, pH swings, bacterial infections to parasites. Its unusual you are seeing temporary spinal bends.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I've seen similar symptoms in other species and there are a few causes from genetics disorders, pH swings, bacterial infections to parasites. Its unusual you are seeing temporary spinal bends.
that's what I thought - but it ONLY happens during and after water changes and lasts a few days then goes away until next water change.......gotta be PH or temperature shock, right?

R Richard203 - do you hold your hand under the tap water while you are filling the buckets to make sure it's as close to your tank's temperature as possible?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store