Tank Recommendations for First Monster Fish Setup

LambCh0p

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2017
So I’ve made multiple posts in the past trying to figure out ideas for tanks and potential setups. In hindsight, that was foolish of me. I should have waited until I got my housing situation figured out.

This Monday, I closed on a one bedroom condo. It is on ground floor. I know I could theoretically get an 8ft x4ft aquarium in there if it’s around 30 inches tall. However I’m not sure if that’s such a good idea. My biggest tank in the past was 120 gallons, and I could always end up relocating later in life. I also don’t want humidity issues from a large tank, and really don’t want any property damage.

What would be a good first big aquarium? I definetly want to go bigger than 120 gallons, I’m just not sure how big I should go. Humidity is honestly my biggest concern, I really don’t want to get mold in my condo. Any suggestions on stocking for reccomended tank sizes would also be appreciated. I’m open to fresh and saltwater suggestions. I grew up on river monsters, so tigerfish, Payara and predatory catfish are some of my favorite fish. I also love sharks, morays, groupers, and puffers on the saltwater side.

I know a large aquarium is a big step up, and shouldn’t be taken lightly, so I really want to try avoiding mistakes that many people make when they take too big of a first step into monster fish keeping.

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
If the biggest you can fit is 96x48x30, get that or as reasonably close to it as you can. There are no concerns I've ever noticed about having a large tank where humidity is concerned as long as you have a lid and keep it closed.

You'll always have a chance that within a few years you'll be moving but when that time comes just peddle the tank and get a fresh one wherever you land next.

LambCh0p

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2017
If the biggest you can fit is 96x48x30, get that or as reasonably close to it as you can. There are no concerns I've ever noticed about having a large tank where humidity is concerned as long as you have a lid and keep it closed.

You'll always have a chance that within a few years you'll be moving but when that time comes just peddle the tank and get a fresh one wherever you land next.
Thanks for the input! I need to double and triple check the measurements of the doors and lobby of my new place but if humidity and mold is not something I should be concerned about I’m going as big as I can

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I had 20 tanks, with about 2000+ gallons when I lived in WI, and when I moved, to sell the house, I did need to do a mold mitigation, and replace a little dry wall, and some molding.
I also put a few floor jacks in the basement under the floors while living there, just in case, 2000 gallons of water alone, weighs about 16,700 lbs

I considered these adjustments just a normal part of the hobby.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I'm not sure I consider mold in my walls as a normal part of the hobby...in fact, I'm sure I don't!...but I do consider the most important part of my electrical aquarium equipment to be a quality dehumidifier of the correct capacity. And my tanks are always covered, a simple expedient which cuts down tremendously on not only humidity but also heat loss and fish jumping. :)

My tanks are mostly in the basement; the dehumidifier literally never comes on all winter and yet the humidity is still under 40% constantly. When summer comes, it rises considerably higher than that, and it happens with or without covers on my tanks. I suspect it would happen even without tanks at all. In any case, the dehumidifier cycles on and off...mostly on...all summer long and keeps the humidity acceptable.

The two small tanks I have upstairs don't make much difference to humidity in the summer. In the wintertime, they act as humidifiers, helping to alleviate the ultra-dry air that is especially aggravated by using a woodstove as a primary heat source.

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
In my fish room this morning are roughly 1040 US gallons of tank water and the humidity in the room is 28%.

Two tanks are uncovered; a 106g and a 60g. If I lived in a humid area like Houston, TX things might be a lot different but I don't have much experience elsewhere.

LambCh0p

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2017
I had 20 tanks, with about 2000+ gallons when I lived in WI, and when I moved, to sell the house, I did need to do a mold mitigation, and replace a little dry wall, and some molding.
I also put a few floor jacks in the basement under the floors while living there, just in case, 2000 gallons of water alone, weighs about 16,700 lbs

I considered these adjustments just a normal part of the hobby.
The tank I’m considering is 540 gallons. I live in Michigan which can get kinda humid in the summer. This is going in a 691 square foot condo. Think this is too many gallons for the space as far as humidity is concerned. If it is too much, how big of a tank would you reccomend for this space as far as humidity is concerned?

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
SE USA
I know it sounds simplistic, but tight covers on the tank (and sump if you have one) really do make a huge difference, as Trouser Bark Trouser Bark noted. I have three large tanks (~1700 gal. total) in an 1800 sq. ft. basement. Really worst case scenario with the combination of the basement location and living in the SE where ambient humidity is 50-60%, or higher, much of the year. When I leak tested my 900 gal. system while setting it up, I was amazed at how much water evaporated daily with the tank and sump completely open. Once buttoned up with a full canopy and sump covers, I go for several weeks before having to top up to keep the sump's pump chamber level up. And that is only if I get lazy on water changes. If I stick to my semimonthly schedule, I never even notice significant water loss.

There are really two common ways to control evaporation, keep the tank/sump tightly closed (and use a dehumidifier if necessary), or move lots of air across the tank and exhaust it with ventilation (and use a dehumidifier if necessary). Many choose the latter for a number of reasons, but with a freshwater tank and a basement location with 12" poured concrete walls, I prefer the enclosure method to keep the water out of the air.

Reactions: LambCh0p

LambCh0p

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2017
Okay it’s been a while since I’ve posted anything I’ve been moving stuff in and getting settled at the new place. I’ve taken some measurements and my ideal spot for an aquarium is unfortunately cut short by a window.

This spot is in a corner, and the largest tank I can do without blocking part of the window is a five feet long by three feet wide tank. For height I’ll probably go 30 inches. This is also gallons so humidity won’t be a huge concern.

Any recommendations for potential predators or large fish I could keep in this tank size? If I go saltwater, I’m thinking of doing a community of 4-5 moray eels. I would love to hear some freshwater recommendations though.

Some of my favorite fish are tigerfish, Payara, stingray, arrowana, predatory catfish, and peacock bass. I know most of these aren’t an option, so I would love to hear what you guys think would be the coolest options for this tank size if I don’t go for the morays.

I’m also open to saltwater suggestions, but I don’t think the morays can be topped for saltwater.

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
Peacock bass would be an option for sure, especially kelberi/intermedia/occ imo.
im searching for a similar size tank to house a pair of red terrors and a group of large characins such as gold wolf fish, red tail barracuda, or SDs.
something like a pair umbees, red terrors, or other large pet cichlid would be my vote.
with the morays I would totally throw in a lionfish (as long as it’s not a tessalate or green, have seen those two eat lions) those are some of my favorite fish I’ve ever owned.
I might also point you to a small grouper. Minis, coney, and the majority of other cephalapholis would be interesting with maybe 2-3 morays.
perhaps you would get some of the hunting behavior.

a lot of people may say that the tank is too small for some of the stuff I recommend. (Such as the grouper or umbee) but I’ve noticed in captivity large predators rarely hit 1/2-3/4 of the recorded size. And with proper feeding and enrichment they will thrive with enough footprint. Ie 3x5.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store