Tank Recommendations for First Monster Fish Setup

LambCh0p

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2017
Peacock bass would be an option for sure, especially kelberi/intermedia/occ imo.
im searching for a similar size tank to house a pair of red terrors and a group of large characins such as gold wolf fish, red tail barracuda, or SDs.
something like a pair umbees, red terrors, or other large pet cichlid would be my vote.
with the morays I would totally throw in a lionfish (as long as it’s not a tessalate or green, have seen those two eat lions) those are some of my favorite fish I’ve ever owned.
I might also point you to a small grouper. Minis, coney, and the majority of other cephalapholis would be interesting with maybe 2-3 morays.
perhaps you would get some of the hunting behavior.

a lot of people may say that the tank is too small for some of the stuff I recommend. (Such as the grouper or umbee) but I’ve noticed in captivity large predators rarely hit 1/2-3/4 of the recorded size. And with proper feeding and enrichment they will thrive with enough footprint. Ie 3x5.
Interesting I didn’t think peacock bass would work but they would definetly be sweet. So if you were me would you go freshwater or saltwater with this? Honestly both have cool options and it’s super hard to decide.

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
Interesting I didn’t think peacock bass would work but they would definetly be sweet. So if you were me would you go freshwater or saltwater with this? Honestly both have cool options and it’s super hard to decide.
Yeah, a group of kelberi or a single/pair of any other sm/md species would be great.

and to be honest it switches, sometimes I wish I had a grouper again, other times I really want a pair of umbees or some predatory characins.

it would come down to money for me, probably would end up doing fresh to save a few grand and piss off the wife less. But she did have a soft spot for my miniatus grouper…

LambCh0p

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2017
Yeah, a group of kelberi or a single/pair of any other sm/md species would be great.

and to be honest it switches, sometimes I wish I had a grouper again, other times I really want a pair of umbees or some predatory characins.

it would come down to money for me, probably would end up doing fresh to save a few grand and piss off the wife less. But she did have a soft spot for my miniatus grouper…
assuming money wasn’t an object and you wanted to get the coolest fish imaginable for that tank size do you think salt would win in this regard? This tank is gunna be set up for 10 years and I want to make sure whatever fish are in it will keep me entertained. Would morays and groupers be more entertaining than a pack of peacock bass or a pair of large cichlids? I haven’t kept either species so I have no idea which would be more entertaining.

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
assuming money wasn’t an object and you wanted to get the coolest fish imaginable for that tank size do you think salt would win in this regard? This tank is gunna be set up for 10 years and I want to make sure whatever fish are in it will keep me entertained. Would morays and groupers be more entertaining than a pack of peacock bass or a pair of large cichlids? I haven’t kept either species so I have no idea which would be more entertaining.
SPS only Reef tank centered around ribbon eels and hybrid angelfish LOL.

in all seriousness, morays are great, a lot of personality, you can hand feed them, very hardy. Only issue is they don’t have a lot of variation. They stare at you all day from a hole in a rock until you feed.
Similar situation with groupers.
lionfish I like cus they are out and about (for a saltwater fish) and still have a ton of personality.

but if I were to have a 10+ year pet fish. It would be a pair of large cichlids
My red terrors are the only fish I haven’t gotten bored of. Not liked looking at or feeding. And haven’t been a chore to do maintenance on.
Everything else for me goes in and out of interest.

but for you that fish that you enjoy so much no matter what could be different. And that’s what I would recommend for you

LambCh0p

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2017
SPS only Reef tank centered around ribbon eels and hybrid angelfish LOL.

in all seriousness, morays are great, a lot of personality, you can hand feed them, very hardy. Only issue is they don’t have a lot of variation. They stare at you all day from a hole in a rock until you feed.
Similar situation with groupers.
lionfish I like cus they are out and about (for a saltwater fish) and still have a ton of personality.

but if I were to have a 10+ year pet fish. It would be a pair of large cichlids
My red terrors are the only fish I haven’t gotten bored of. Not liked looking at or feeding. And haven’t been a chore to do maintenance on.
Everything else for me goes in and out of interest.

but for you that fish that you enjoy so much no matter what could be different. And that’s what I would recommend for you
Thanks for me I really got to think about it. Truth be told I think I was compromising on the morays, just because they were the “monster” fish I could keep in that tank. Truth be told though I think I would be happier with some simple cichlids or peacock bass

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
If it was me I would get Festae harem going. Get a male from one source, 3 to four females from another. Ornatus cats for the bottom. The coloration of Festae is incredible. During breeding, wow. Even during non breeding still wow.
Here is a male I had20190601_221721.jpg
And not my picture but a pair in breeding colors
Mesoheros-festae.jpg
The only reason I didn't keep my male was final size achievable of 18in plus and only having 6ftx18in tanks.

Plenty of hides for the females and catfish when they are not out patrolling for food. Ornatus are a more active catfish at times especially if in a group. Can be more sedimentary when solo.20200309_232201.jpg20200228_170359.jpg20180830_172229.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store