Tank Size Recommendations

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
Well the case of the Bull Shark - the largest recorded was a nearly 4 m (13ft) pregnant female caught in South Africa, in early 2009. She was caught about 5.5 km up the Breede River, and was estimated to weight about 400-500 kg (880-1,100 lbs) .

http://surferspath.mpora.com/news/environment/worlds-biggest-bull-shark-caught-way-inland.html

Speaking Tank Recommendations - lets get the big boys out of the way - okay.

Bull Shark - Carcharhinus leucas , Maturity at about 6.5-7.5ft. Average Adult Size is about 8.2-9.2ft. Maximum Size is about 13ft .
Preferred Water Temperature - about 74-84F
Minimum Tank Size til Mature - 1,300sq.ft or 60ft x 24ft oval.
Minimum Tank Size for Full Adult - 3,500 sq.ft. or about 96ft x 40ft oval.
Minimum Water Depth - 3-6ft for juveniles, 12ft for adults.

Lemon Shark - Negaprion brevirostris , Maturity at about 7-8ft. Average Adult Size is about 8.5-9.5ft. Maximum Size is about 11-12ft .
Preferred Water Temperature - about 74-84F
Minimum Tank Size til Mature - about 970sq.ft or 49ft x 22ft oval.
Minimum Tank Size for Full Adult - 2,300 sq.ft. or about 75ft x 34ft oval.
Minimum Water Depth - 3-6ft for juveniles, 10ft for adults.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
That is the record.

SA ones also get bigger than FL/Gulf ones...my experience with large sharks is strictly limited to speaking with zoo people and diving.

Im just here for the ride and chipping in what I know about max sizes.

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
Well - 11.5-12 ft long Bull Sharks have been found in the Gulf of Mexico. In fact the official fishing record for Texas - is about 11.75 ft. So while - the South African specimen is the largest recorded specimen - it's still only about 10% larger than the Texas state fishing record.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
This is true, I am just saying generally they are bigger in that area.

Most ones in the gulf are probably in the 8' area I would guess. (Give or take a foot and a half)

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
Agreed, but shouldnt that be standard with all fish? 90% of the time people say that fish dont get as big in captivity. Are they just saying that because they take lousy care of them?

Who knows.
Oh I would totally say that it has to do with poor care, there is no reason a captive animal should be smaller or die sooner then in the wild. If you take care of the animals properly and provide enough space, they will thrive/grow and out live their wild counterparts. As a simple example, look at house cats, an indoor cat fed daily (not over fed) will live to almost twenty, wile a "barn cat", as we call them (aka wild domestic cats), will live at most 10 years or less.

turbo253

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
new york
Bull sharks and lemon sharks.... two of my favs. Don't know much keeping adults. so I'll just agree with the tank sizes. I do think that the tank sizes are nice but I am pretty sure you could get away with something a little smaller. That being said don't anybody think that these are good sharks for a home aquarist! Only the most dedicated people should even ponder the idea of keeping either of these sharks.:)

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Bull sharks and lemon sharks.... two of my favs. Don't know much keeping adults. so I'll just agree with the tank sizes. I do think that the tank sizes are nice but I am pretty sure you could get away with something a little smaller. That being said don't anybody think that these are good sharks for a home aquarist! Only the most dedicated people should even ponder the idea of keeping either of these sharks.:)

Does this mean you have something up your sleeve? :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store