The BIG Reveal - Chitala lopis

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
I believe the borneensis is Peckoltia ‘s am unsure how to tag someone in the thread though. The curator I am discussing with says he has a specimen himself and that this is how they most commonly appear.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021

You can’t tell me this fish isn’t beautiful

It is undecided what this specimen is, it is either C. lopis, C. borneensis, or C. hypselonotus “borneensis”. Supposedly the black spot disappears with age in both borneensis and true lopis but is present in juveniles. It’s seeming as if a proper ID is not possible until raised more or tested

Reactions: celebrist

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
It is interesting to note that C. borneensis, which myself and others believe to be the most likely candidate of this specimen, has never been recorded over 20 inches and could be the slowest growing chitala. I’m intrigued by the idea of a “dwarf” or smaller chitala. If I happen to have either C. lopis or C. hypselonotus “borneensis” then they can get up to 48 inches and larger.

C. borneensis seems to be the verdict due to peppering near the tail end, however hypselonotus sometimes feature this trait, it could potentially disappear with age as well.

The fish also has odd “thread-like” stripes which is one of lopis’ main identifiers.

Most of my confusion comes from the dark colors and green/blue hue that can be seen in the video. I’ve found other specimens with this but never a full on hypselonotus with this trait.

80A1846E-31F3-4CD1-A24A-BEB81978B303.jpeg
(The peculiar lopis-type trait of thread like lines on a very dark body)

Reactions: phreeflow

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Wow. Very interesting to read about this. Always fun to hear about a so called extinct sp. still alive and kicking.

to tag someone just add an @ in front of their name Peckoltia Peckoltia is the person you were trying to tag I believe…

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
I’ll try my best not to let it die! I have some other people looking at it right now. I wonder if it would be worth sending to a lab for the sake of science. I’m leaning towards the verdict of borneensis, would be kind of cool considering it’s a dwarf chitala by all means. Need to get it upgraded soon but I’d like to have it in a nice tank with my Giant gourami, atleast a 180 for another year.

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
Another interesting note, the fish has grown around 1.5- 2 inches. Potentially something pointing at it being a smaller species like borneensis? Next to nothing is written as to the growth rates on the three unknown species but my assumption would be that borneensis grows the slowest. I don’t think smaller tank size would attribute much to slowed growth in a fish like this, especially since I’ve made an effort of keeping Nitrate sub 20ppm. I’ve been able to wean it on to more frozen but seems to prefer the random cichlids, worms, and crayfish it gets fed.

Dollar per gallon is going on currently, curious if it is even worth risking this fish with a giant gourami or if I should just purchase a 75 gal and continue to grow it out.

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
Currently sitting on this fish still, haven’t taken much of any new action. Waiting to hear back from one guy who is working for the Smithsonian and wanted to see it.
I’ve been avoiding posting the fish all over but am starting to wonder if publicity would help in finding answers and possibly getting people who know more information to come out.
The specimen is doing awesome, shockingly starting to get more thick but not growing as extensively in length. I think I may invest in a 75 gal for it soon, if it turns about to be borneensis this could potentially last it for a few years.
I’ve gotten it to eat all sorts of food, anything except pellets so far. It’s catfish buddies have stayed unharmed as well!

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
Ah, finally got a response from the other person, similar response saying he is unsure on the species. Kind of stuck with not knowing what it is. If anyone knows someone I could link up with for genetic testing, that would be awesome. The issue would be finding something to compare it to.
I’ve gotten my hands on a 75gal, hoping the dresser I have can support it. Will be painting it black, using tan sand and mopani wood, and lots of java fern. Going to light very dim.
If anyone has suggestions for dither, it would be much appreciated, I will likely move my catfish over. Was thinking of having malabar leaf fish or chromides for dither? What do you guys think?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store