The BIG Reveal - Chitala lopis

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
I have bumped the temp up and have began feeding daily. I wish to simulate a sort of wet season for two months or so and allow the fish to put some weight on. I have an article laying around somewhere concerning seasonal diets of indonesian chitala. I will be using this for my model.

I have also found two beautiful male filamentosa barbs, I have added these and plan to attempt spawning them soon. Videos are on their way within the next few days.

Oh yes I have also added O. septemfasciatus, it is cool having the rarest giant gourami in a tank along with the rarest featherback. Two extremely rare, large, oddballs.

ILOVESHARKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2021
Malaysia
I have bumped the temp up and have began feeding daily. I wish to simulate a sort of wet season for two months or so and allow the fish to put some weight on. I have an article laying around somewhere concerning seasonal diets of indonesian chitala. I will be using this for my model.

I have also found two beautiful male filamentosa barbs, I have added these and plan to attempt spawning them soon. Videos are on their way within the next few days.

Oh yes I have also added O. septemfasciatus, it is cool having the rarest giant gourami in a tank along with the rarest featherback. Two extremely rare, large, oddballs.
giant featherbacks are treated as an expensive delicacy in Malaysia, because their meats are suitable for making fishball and their fish belly is the most delicious part, they are now facing threats of overfishing, river pollution and competing with invasive clown knife fishes, they are very rare in aquarium trade in Malaysia, I only found them at a public aquarium of KLCCWhatsApp Image 2022-03-29 at 9.26.51 PM.jpeg

Reactions: SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
I have seen this tank online before, any way you could get more pictures of it??? It’s awesome. I wish someone could take the specimens from this tank and begin farming them overseas. It’s shocking they haven’t given their status as a delicacy. Perhaps the scarcity adds to the enjoyment? I could never eat an endangered animal like that.

Reactions: ILOVESHARKS

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Wow! ?
That's all I can say. First time I've ever heard of an 'extinct' fish not being extinct because a member of the general public owns one.

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
Wow! ?
That's all I can say. First time I've ever heard of an 'extinct' fish not being extinct because a member of the general public owns one.
It’s certainly something, I’d like to think it happens more often than some might think. Especially with fish, numerous with blurred taxonomic distinctions

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
The blurred taxonomic distinctions is something interesting for sure. I just hope they don't lead to hybrids with non-endangered species when it comes to endangered fish that are breedable in captivity.

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
The blurred taxonomic distinctions is something interesting for sure. I just hope they don't lead to hybrids with non-endangered species when it comes to endangered fish that are breedable in captivity.
This has always been a huge concern for me and something I wish to combat. Even with things such as people crossing cichlid locales.
Thankfully, from some cursory searches, it appears that chitala cannot hybridize for whatever reason.

ILOVESHARKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2021
Malaysia
th
I have seen this tank online before, any way you could get more pictures of it??? It’s awesome. I wish someone could take the specimens from this tank and begin farming them overseas. It’s shocking they haven’t given their status as a delicacy. Perhaps the scarcity adds to the enjoyment? I could never eat an endangered animal like that.
this is the whole view of the aquarium from the internet, I had went to this place last year, but the ticket is too expensive, I wish I could collect more photos from this aquarium, there is also a display pool under the tank, the tank have more than 10 golden crossback arowana, Seven stripped barb and Sultan fish (L.Hoevenii)
1652503302970.png

ILOVESHARKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2021
Malaysia
Wow! ?
They aren't endangered or extinct fishes in Malaysia, Some places like the Kenyir lake and Perak river have many giant featherbacks, Most giant featherbacks from the Kedah river are larger than most Giant featherbacks found in Malaysia, because the river current of the Kedah river is too strong, even a 1kg giant snakehead had a strength of a 2kg giant snakehead

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store