The red spots of rosemariae pike has faded…

Armatus Red

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2019
I got this fish with plenty of red spots about 4 months ago

but those beautiful spots finally faded away…
Now it looks like just a regular green pike cichlid, I have no idea why because it’s much stronger and healthier than 4 months ago. Shouldn’t it looks better when it’s living in a better environment? C0BFA69B-7B8B-41CC-8F75-AF783CA72376.jpeg5C6093FE-4B24-4E1D-98D7-D175CB97B07B.jpeg
CC633188-6CAD-45CC-A7A3-570EBFA3A2E7.jpeg

6AC03BE1-F012-4BAC-882F-6A0D559C3005.jpeg2528F622-DA11-468D-AE36-742D5F9F11DF.jpeg
today)

Honestly I prefer it with more red spots, but I don’t really know how to make it back. I have already tried to make it have a battle with other species to see wether it’s some kind of warning colouration, however the amount of red spots didn’t change. Maybe it’s a regular performance for rosemariane?

Reactions: Midwater

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
That is normal.. it'd going from sub-adult to adult coloration. The fabulous colors you see of rosemarie are adults looking to breed. Whether or not you will see the spots back in breeding dress, only you can figure that out with your pike. Get a female (not that spectacular) and be prepared to make the water conditions for them to breed since lugubris family of pikes are notoriously difficult to breed without the right water parameters. (more likely soft water with low gh and with low ph) A reputable importer has stated that the rest of the year, they are kind of a bland green. (I'm guessing just right above in coloration as the grey sausage sp Venezuela).

So in summary, lugubris pike family goes through 3 color/pattern changes, juvenile to sub-adult to adult. Within the adult coloration is breeding dress and normal.

Last edited:

Armatus Red

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2019
Oliver Lucanus warned of this. He said people would be drawn in by their red spots, not realizing that for much of the year the fish were a drab olive-green color. The red spots are supposedly only on breeding males.
Thank you my friend, I have booked a female from an importer, I’ll try it later.

Armatus Red

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2019
Oliver Lucanus warned of this. He said people would be drawn in by their red spots, not realizing that for much of the year the fish were a drab olive-green color. The red spots are supposedly only on breeding males.
Thanks my friend.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store