The Use of Probiotics in Aquaculture

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
I have read this entire thread in the past but do not remember my question being addressed. If it was I apologize. I have been battling what I believe to be septicemia in my 150 African cichlid tank for quite some time. One of the fish that was the most drastically effected was my bucco with extremely red areas around the mouth, pectoral and dorsal fins. I have spent a good bit of $ on different meds to no avail on this fish. Several other fish in the tank seemed to recover after dosing the tank with an antibiotic but not this guy. About two weeks ago I dosed the tank with RidX after not treating the tank this way for a long time. Dosed again this week and just noticed that my bucco has zero redness. He has had the issue for a long time and seemingly cleared up in a weeks time.
Could there be a correlation between the RidX treatment and his improvement?

Reactions: RD.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I have read this entire thread in the past but do not remember my question being addressed. If it was I apologize. I have been battling what I believe to be septicemia in my 150 African cichlid tank for quite some time. One of the fish that was the most drastically effected was my bucco with extremely red areas around the mouth, pectoral and dorsal fins. I have spent a good bit of $ on different meds to no avail on this fish. Several other fish in the tank seemed to recover after dosing the tank with an antibiotic but not this guy. About two weeks ago I dosed the tank with RidX after not treating the tank this way for a long time. Dosed again this week and just noticed that my bucco has zero redness. He has had the issue for a long time and seemingly cleared up in a weeks time.
possible that the competitive exclusion occurred and outcompeted the bacteria causing the ailment

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
This is exactly what I’m hoping for, because I have a fish with a case of fin rot that’s not serious but it never quite goes away. It seems to be clearing up a little bit since I started using the Roebic 57.

After the previous biotic wears off a little bit I will give it the Bio-clean treatment.

I don’t want to use too much Bio-clean at first, but I don’t want it to be out-competed by bacteria already in the system.

SuperNinja

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2014
Desert
In the few weeks i’ve been using bioclean i’ve dose after a water change about 1/4 teaspoon but i break it up into 1/8 and do one directly into the sump and one in the tank. Then 2-3 days later i split 1/8 teaspoon between my two overflows. I have noticed that the fish have been healing extremely quickly from scratches or fin nicks. Water has been extremely clear. I’m going to slowly add 1/8 teaspoon more every few weeks to a month until i get to about 1 to 1.5 teaspoons max. May never get there but this stuff is working phenomenally.

Reactions: jjohnwm

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Yesterday I stirred the patio tank severely & pumped 100gals from the system thru it onto my drooping trees. So, About 40% water change. I didn’t add any amendments to the water except that pond type Water cleaner from Lowe’s which says it contains some botanical tree oil nonsense.

I decided after that there would then be no overcompetition from the Roebic, so today I added the first small dose of Bio-clean.

I diluted 1/2 tsp with a cup of 80f tank water first, and right away it smelled like yeast. I dumped 1/4 into the 3 main filter socksAnd 1/4 in my brackish system too.

So far I’m not seeing much cloudiness in either, but my water was already clean. I had just stirred up the brackish system & changed water when I added the Roebic 57.

I will probably add some to the foyer system soon.

nolvide

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2021
Hey, is this the same redness around the fins and face on your cichlids your talking about? i think we may have the same thing... i dont think its septicemia

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I have been treating all my systems (brackish too) with Bio-clean for a month now, and I have cut my water changes nearly in half. I was doing 40% twice a week but now just once a week.

Even so, the water is still better. Smells better. Clearer too. I am impressed by what a teaspoon of this does in 200 gals.

My coarse filtration looks about the same as before, but the fine filtration stays cleaner.

Unless something better comes along, I will keep using this forever.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store