Tiger Muskie aquarium behavior?

Logan487

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
North Carolina
Hey all,

I have been looking at getting my first Esox, but have been reading conflicting information. Some sites claim it to be a highly aggressive and fast moving predator, while others describe them as shy and best kept in a calmer environment. Does anyone have experience with this species that would be able to provide the following info?

1) Average growth rate
2) I am looking at an 8 - 9" specimen, would it be a threat to 6 -7" channel cat or a giraffe cat roughly 7"?
3) I have a Wallogonia micropogon about this same size, if possible it would be nice to house them as adults together. Would this be possible? (If not can move, but would be ideal)
4) If I decided to go long term with moving to an indoor pond, is this species known for jumping or tearing liners?
5) Is this species specifically cold water or can it tolerate sub tropical temps long term such as mid to upper 70s?

Aside from the Black Wallago the only other fish in the tank he would be growing out in are the following:

- Tiger Shovelnose 10" approx
- Lima Shovelnose 7" approx
- 2x Channel cats
- Giraffe Catfish 7" approx
- Black Wallago 9 - 10" approx

I worry given some sites make it sound like a goonch that will take bites out of the cats. While the Wallago I don't think could do anything to him, he did try to take a 5" Jardini when he was around 7" so I am concerned if his growth rate could outpace the Muskie.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
The term "aggressive" is so often used and mis-used and abused that it's hardly worth using at all anymore.

An aggressive fish is one that goes around with a chip on its shoulder, picking fights and harrassing its tankmates. This has nothing to do with how or what it eats.

A fish can show an aggressive feeding response, meaning that it hits food hard and fast and with great gusto...but that doesn't mean the fish is aggressive to tankmates that are too large to be considered as food.

Some fish display both types of aggression...some display neither...and many others display one or the other type. I've seen some specimens of Giant Goramy (largely herbivorous) that will dismantle any other large fish housed with them...but they completely ignore small tetras and livebearers. Many large carnivores, like large arowanas and others, will quickly and aggressively seize and swallow their tankmates if they can...but they also ignore very small fish, since they're just too small to be worth the energy expediture required to chase them down. On the other hand, my Jelly Cat will swallow absolutely anything, ranging from fish that look too big to go down the hatch (and it's a pretty big hatch!) all the way down to the tiniest fry...but there's no pursuit involved, he just waits for them to come into gulping range...and then he inhales them.

There are plenty of aggressively-feeding fish that are pretty wimpy in terms of how they interact with other fish that aren't small enough to eat. I've kept Pike and Grass Pickerel, and both of those species fall into that category IMHO. When food hits the water's surface they are all teeth...but if somebody picks on them, or even just crowds them a bit, they suddenly become shrinking violets. Never kept a Muskie, either tiger or regular, but I'd bet they are the same way. This is the reason why experienced snake keepers always try to avoid feeding live rodents to large snakes; sure, if they eat, all is well...but if the snake doesn't immediately eat the rodent, or worse yet if a number of the rodents are present, the snake can become badly bitten and gnawed by it's supposed "food"...and these snakes will rarely fight back or bite in response to this kind of abuse. They're just overwhelmed by the stress of being constantly harrassed.

Not sure about the temperature thing. It's well-accepted that many fish from temperate zones don't do well long-term without a seasonal cool-down period that mimics their natural waters. While Esox species are generally considered "warm-water" gamefish...they are an important target of ice-fishermen, so that designation isn't too useful. And many fishermen consider Muskies as "cold-water" gamefish, as the biggest specimens are often caught in large lakes in open water, usually in the autumn when temperatures are dropping. A muskie caught at the height of summer in warm water, is relatively lethargic on the line and will require a lot more attention paid to resuscitating it if it is to be successfully released. And a Tiger Muskie is a hybrid of Pike X Muskie, so that adds another layer of "hmmmmm..." to the question. Take from that what you will.

If it were me...I would not be putting a Muskie into a community tank, at least not until I had experimented carefully to see how it responds to tankmates...and certainly not with a bunch of tropical fish. It's not a typical aquarium fish...not in size, not in temperature requirements. I think it deserves a tank devoted to it that is set up, to the best of your abilities, to provide it with the best possible conditions...rather than providing for a mishmash of fish and forcing the muskie into a "maybe good enough" kind of compromise.

Logan487

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
North Carolina
Thanks!

To clarify though this is a grow out tank, as I can't really excuse putting 6 - 10" fish in any of the indoor pond setups yet lol. I got another 125 nursery tank and a 220 though not in use I could place it in for the time being as well as an 8 x 6 x 3 pond that is currently empty but its basically an outdoor pool put inside with filtration added, do you know if they can be damaging to liners like pacu and some cats can be? I currently keep my water around 72 - 74, you think I could just forgo the heater then since its a NA fish?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
This is bad news lol, I have already been eyeballing a diamondback sturgeon for the big display, this just adds fuel to that fire lol.

I thought you already had one sorry I recommend doing thorough research prior to getting the Muskie. BTW one of my favorite native species.

Logan487

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
North Carolina
Same. And no I have not gotten one yet but been debating between pulling the trigger and waiting for a bit now. Wife and I are looking at building our next house and in it we will be making one living room wall a cut out with a custom acrylic around the 20 x 5 x 4' range but I have not decided if I want to do native or tropical with it as call me odd, but I have always been more into a lot of the native species. Also recently I realized that my favorite fish is significantly dwarfed when kept in captivity so it has me re-evaluating what the main display will be. For now though its just ponds and large tanks although I can't wait till I have something pond sized that can be viewed from the side. My biggest reservation has been growth rate as if possible I want to try to condense and minimize the setups we have when we are close to making the move so its less to mess with. Or if possible set the new setups up to cycle then move the fish given I don't trust anyone to keep care of our fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store