TRAVELLING WITH PIRANHAS????

Freezers

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2021
My dear friends so unfortunately my work need to moved me to another country in a few months and I have to plan my steps very carefully about travelling with my lovely piranhas 5 great adults of them...that would be a great challenge for all.
Of course I refuse to give them or sell them you know I love them.
The travel will done by car and its about 15 hours +/-.
My idea is to transport them with separate dark plastic boxes almost 30 ltr each 2 on 1 and 3 on the other with water from my tank and with portable air pump with the sponge filter from the same aquarium attached on both boxes unfortunately without a heater because no electricity would be available and of course I will not feed them 2 days before or even the trip.
When I will be on my destination it will be a new tank setup again from '0' but I will open the boxes and ad a heater and small filters for about 1-2 days to give time to main aquarium with contitioner and bacteria and all the serious equipment....
The other option this seems more good is to contact my friends to go and pick up a new aquarium that will running 1-2 weeks already and ad the piranhas right away when I reach my new home so will not have to wait more longer to those boxes and relax to a new aquarium.
Please tell me what you think about all that or you have any other ideas how this could work other way.
I am afraid to not loose any lovely dude.

Thank you in advance love you.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
i dunno - i’d look at individual sections so they don’t get spooked and hurt each other in transit - maybe some heat packs? you may be able to get a dc inverter and plug in small heater ? i’d trying to have set up tank when you arrive - less problems the better -

keep all your substrate, media, and as much of your old tank wet and hopefully your bb will transfer to new tank -

i’m not sure if you care, but often in parts where i live transporting food/plants/live things across country borders usually requires some sort of paperwork

gl!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The travel will done by car and its about 15 hours +/-.
My idea is to transport them with separate dark plastic boxes almost 30 ltr each 2 on 1 and 3 on the other with water from my tank and with portable air pump with the sponge filter from the same aquarium attached on both boxes unfortunately without a heater because no electricity would be available and of course I will not feed them 2 days before or even the trip.
Toss the bio media from filter along with the seeded sponge filter and if you add a dechlorinator to the aquarium water at the new residence you won't have to start completely over. I recommend that you make sure the temperature is near the temperature in the travel totes before introducing the Piranha in the aquarium. If you do these things you may only have a mini cycle.

Freezers

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2021
i dunno - i’d look at individual sections so they don’t get spooked and hurt each other in transit - maybe some heat packs? you may be able to get a dc inverter and plug in small heater ? i’d trying to have set up tank when you arrive - less problems the better -

keep all your substrate, media, and as much of your old tank wet and hopefully your bb will transfer to new tank -

i’m not sure if you care, but often in parts where i live transporting food/plants/live things across country borders usually requires some sort of paperwork

gl!
Yes nice though I will try to find a heater for the car or if not maybe try to make on and if nothing works I will go for heat packs....
Where I am now and where I go its inside Europe and its totally legal to own and have piranhas also it will really be a car full of house stuff....
You say maybe it's better to travel by ship and car inside????
I have to check all that if you know anything tell me.

Freezers

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2021
Toss the bio media from filter along with the seeded sponge filter and if you add a dechlorinator to the aquarium water at the new residence you won't have to start completely over. I recommend that you make sure the temperature is near the temperature in the travel totes before introducing the Piranha in the aquarium. If you do these things you may only have a mini cycle.
Of course I will take some bio media to put in...this is nice idea thanks and also a nice trick this with temperature when arriving new tank it will be more soft climatic change I will do it for sure.
Yes the new tank that will be waiting will going to have declor, bacteria, softener and as you know me no deco or plants just only sand with gravel and some stones or something and will be working on 2 weeks at least.
So the idea of starting new tank and wait a few more days into the plastic boxes it's totally out of scenario right?
Because I have to find a buyer here for my old tank that I have now.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Of course I will take some bio media to put in...this is nice idea thanks and also a nice trick this with temperature when arriving new tank it will be more soft climatic change I will do it for sure.
Yes the new tank that will be waiting will going to have declor, bacteria, softener and as you know me no deco or plants just only sand with gravel and some stones or something and will be working on 2 weeks at least.
So the idea of starting new tank and wait a few more days into the plastic boxes it's totally out of scenario right?
Because I have to find a buyer here for my old tank that I have now.
The bio media and sponge filter shouldn't be rinsed or cleaned like I stated put those in with the Piranha. A new tank will not affect anything but important to have Dechlorinator for water that will be put in the new aquarium from your tap because Chlorine or Chloramine will kill the live bacteria on your seeded sponge and bio media from filter. Add dechlorinator to the aquarium before placing the Bio Media and Piranha in it.

Freezers

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2021
The bio media and sponge filter shouldn't be rinsed or cleaned like I stated put those in with the Piranha. A new tank will not affect anything but important to have Dechlorinator for water that will be put in the new aquarium from your tap because Chlorine or Chloramine will kill the live bacteria on your seeded sponge and bio media from filter. Add dechlorinator to the aquarium before placing the Bio Media and Piranha in it.
Nice advice and very useful I will not touch my sponges 1 month before I go to make sure it will be OK. yea I hate chlorine even in water changes I add a bit of sera aquatan if you know it and bio nitrivec for bacteria and do a great job...
As fa's as I know Piranha can go for some periods like a few days more down to 20 15 celceius...
My temperature will be 20, 22 I think for about travelling hours or if I am lucky to place a heat some how a bit more like 23 24....
Now my temperature all this time I have the dudes it was always 26.

Reactions: tlindsey

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
One other thing you may find useful is a battery powered air pump. It will help oxygenate the holding tanks of the piranhas and filter media, and the extra oxygen will increase the odds of both making it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store