True piraiba aka Brachyplatystoma filamentosum

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Got one from Wes from Siruname about a year ago at ~16". It reached ~24" today.

(Sept 10, 2016: Brachyplatystoma filamentosum, ~20", from Wesley Wong of Rare Fish, Los Angeles, CA; wild caught by Wes' fisherman in Suriname. Got it 3 months ago at ~16". Feeds well on large whole marine fish but is slow to take the feed, taking from 5 to 30 seconds; pump must not be off or it wouldn't take the feed. Not skittish in a stark contrast to the false piraiba B. capapretum. Has been alone in its 240 gal. Getting tight though...)

It spent time first in 240 gal where it was a bit flighty (a comfortable piraiba is not skittish as opposed to capapretum, which is very skittish) and eating irregularly. I had to beg it to eat. It started to bend the tip of its upper jaw (can see well in the second video) from hitting the glass, so I couldn't keep it in 240 gal any longer.

Then at ~20" it went into one of the 4500 gal with the brutes. Did ok for many months and then one morning I found it half dead with skin on the hind third missing and tail almost gone.

Healed up in a 240 gal (can see substantial scarring) and then went into the "peaceful" 4500 gal. Has been doing ok there.

Sept 2016 in 240 gal:

May 2017 in 4500 gal:

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Got two more imported from Peru this time from Mark Chen of Discus Origins at about 4". That was 3 months ago. They are now about 8"-9". They like cut fish and catfish farm pellet too.

Both arrived the same dark color. Then soon one became much lighter colored. The other stayed the same. I am clueless why. Their spotting got different too. Other than the color, they look and behave the same, except the dark one could be more dominant.

Pretty laid back. Don't appear to bother any tank mates, including other Brachies - dorado and capa. Juruense was bothering them and was kicked out of the tank.

Them and their tank mates in 240 gal:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store