Ultimate DIY Fish Room - Nearly 100K Gallons in Total!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kangadrew

Banned
Aug 7, 2015
Thanks man. I'm hoping this can be a legit thing too, seems like it though. I put lots of money into this hobby and I'm not afraid to do it.

Kangadrew

Banned
Aug 7, 2015
Instead of the swimming pool, I will just do a regular pond with a liner, etc. I have other plans for a big outdoor saltwater pool (this will easily be the biggest private saltwater aquarium ever). Complete with sharks, rays, a goliath grouper, morays, snappers, jacks, and tarpon, of course ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) But that's for a long time from now.

nmadsen4

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2008
phoenix
Forgive me if I'm mistaken but I have to believe you are trolling us. You said you need several years to save up the money (250k or more) yet you're strapped for a few xmas gifts for your daughter this year? Did I miss read that completely? Maybe you're planning to inherit a large sum of money?

I often dream of having one of my walls be an entire viewing panel for my black tip shark tank but that doesnt mean that I go and actually design the entire thing. I'm all for dreaming big and talking about what I'd like to do if I could afford it but if you're just pretending and faking about your ability to pay for all this then I find it a bit distasteful.

Honestly, I hope I'm wrong because I would want to see the progress but I don't think I am wrong.

Kangadrew

Banned
Aug 7, 2015
Nope, not trolling. I toned it down - I severely downsized because I didn't want to have to maintain such a large tank every day and I didn't want to have somebody else do it either. So I downsized to make things easier, yet still allow me to keep a large variety of fish. Not faking about my ability to pay for this - I said I was strapped to add in any money to the funds for the new room right now, just because of Christmas being right around the corner, and I've got a daughter, wife, and family members and friends to buy gifts for - but with the room being smaller now, it will likely be finished much sooner, maybe 2 years.
My apologies if I came across as a troll, but I'm definitely serious about building this.
Speaking of trolls, anyone remember that guy who wanted to build a pond for a blue shark on Catalina Island? Then he wanted to make his own species of shark, and then create radioactive sharks, and just a ton of random bullcrap. It was actually funny for a while, but then he got really annoying. Not sure if he was on here, but he was on another forum somewhere.

nmadsen4

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2008
phoenix
I see. well good luck with your project. Do you have cost estimates for your new 2 year timeline? I also saw that you mentioned existing tanks that are already set up. Do you have any pics of those current set ups?

Also, I know nothing about this other guy but I'm sure he would not have received much welcome from this forum if he was talking about radioactive sharks.

Kangadrew

Banned
Aug 7, 2015
I see. well good luck with your project. Do you have cost estimates for your new 2 year timeline? I also saw that you mentioned existing tanks that are already set up. Do you have any pics of those current set ups?

Also, I know nothing about this other guy but I'm sure he would not have received much welcome from this forum if he was talking about radioactive sharks.
Yeah, that guy was NOT very welcome on any forums.
I'm trying to stay under $100K but I'll probably hit nearly $150K

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Sounds amazing, but I think even with the new plan it still sounds like a fulltime job to upkeep that many big tanks/pond. I would also encourage you to reevaluate your stock lists - maybe I am misreading what fish you plan to have together but some seem really random or outright incompatible. Think through if you could only have 10 species which ones would you absolutely want to have... When I am looking at my tanks I love all my fish, but when I am away I can think of the species I really wouldn't want to do without.

Maybe try to think of a theme for each tank so they don't just look like random fish thrown together, maybe large groups of "smaller" fish and then a few show specimens in each big tank... or just something that ties them together... maybe even consider from an aquascaping perspective, because many giant tanks are kind of ugly, even though they have amazing fish. I guess just try to think what fish really have staying power for you, and then your tanks will be more focused.

Post pics of your 1000g aquarium! That is no small tank itself, and if you post pics people will be less likely to think you are trolling or being wildly unrealistic (because even your modified plan does sound a little fabulous!)

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Reading some threads by NOLAPETE wouldn't be a bad idea. They're long winded, but give a lot good life lessons on what NOT to do... classic bite-off more than you can chew scenarios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store