Unusual community tank

vind7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2017
Germany
Hey everyone,
First of all: I don't know galloons or inches/ft as I am from Europe so please bear with me using the metric system. :D
I hope to get some good advice on here by experienced fish keepers.
First off all, my tank measures 180cm x 40cm x 40cm (l/w/h) which is about 288 liters. I'm planning to make it a community tank with some unusual looking fish species.
So far I have been considering Polypterus senegalus and Colomesus assellus (Amazon puffer).
From what I have read on various sites the puffers can be a bit difficult when it comes to feeding but getting snails is not an issue for me. They aren't known to be aggressive towards other species either.
I have been searching for a bit now but so far I haven't encountered anyone who has kept these two species together and I am wondering if that would work. My only concern is the bichirs might eat the puffers eventually, but if the puffers are fully grown (about 10cm) would they still be considered prey by the bichirs?
Other than that I am not really seeing any reasons against this community set up.

Hoping for plenty of replies and advice,
Greetings from Germany :)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey everyone,
First of all: I don't know galloons or inches/ft as I am from Europe so please bear with me using the metric system. :D
I hope to get some good advice on here by experienced fish keepers.
First off all, my tank measures 180cm x 40cm x 40cm (l/w/h) which is about 288 liters. I'm planning to make it a community tank with some unusual looking fish species.
So far I have been considering Polypterus senegalus and Colomesus assellus (Amazon puffer).
From what I have read on various sites the puffers can be a bit difficult when it comes to feeding but getting snails is not an issue for me. They aren't known to be aggressive towards other species either.
I have been searching for a bit now but so far I haven't encountered anyone who has kept these two species together and I am wondering if that would work. My only concern is the bichirs might eat the puffers eventually, but if the puffers are fully grown (about 10cm) would they still be considered prey by the bichirs?
Other than that I am not really seeing any reasons against this community set up.

Hoping for plenty of replies and advice,
Greetings from Germany :)

Never heard of this combination but as long the SA Puffer is big enough to not fit in the Senegal Bichir's mouth and the SA puffer dosnt attack the Bicher then I say it could work.

vind7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2017
Germany
I have never heard of that combination either but I would be willing to try it.
I have read on some German forums that the amazon puffer doesn't attack or harass smaller characins so I doubt it will attack a bichir.
How big should a fish be to not be considered prey by a P. senegalus?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have never heard of that combination either but I would be willing to try it.
I have read on some German forums that the amazon puffer doesn't attack or harass smaller characins so I doubt it will attack a bichir.
How big should a fish be to not be considered prey by a P. senegalus?

Any fish species over 3inches and not built like a worm lol.

vind7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2017
Germany
Thanks guys! I'm planning to stay around :)

BTW off topic, but how do I upload a profile picture?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store