Upgrading tank size advise.

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
Well the filter media is the key, and you may want to upgrade. I recently went from a 75 to a 100 and I got a bigger filter a month before the new tank. I let it run and get the biofilter establish fully, so when I got the new tank I just switched the filter to the new tank and it was all set immediately.

MonsterFishCreeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2015
Md
Nice looking stock. If you think your husband will take more than a few hours which seems like a possibility, I honestly think the best option is just moving the tank you have somewhere else in the room. Even if you have to set it up on the floor. Yes you can keep the fish alive in buckets for quite some time but all the bacteria that encompasses your "cycle" is in the filter, at least the majority of it. You don't want to leave your filter sitting without food and more importantly without water. If it dries it dies.

It will be less stressful for your husband to build the new tank into the wall knowing the fish are all in their normal tank. Working under duress can lead to accidents or less than ideal out comes.

Brittanirdh

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 15, 2016
TN
Nice looking stock. If you think your husband will take more than a few hours which seems like a possibility, I honestly think the best option is just moving the tank you have somewhere else in the room. Even if you have to set it up on the floor. Yes you can keep the fish alive in buckets for quite some time but all the bacteria that encompasses your "cycle" is in the filter, at least the majority of it. You don't want to leave your filter sitting without food and more importantly without water. If it dries it dies.

It will be less stressful for your husband to build the new tank into the wall knowing the fish are all in their normal tank. Working under duress can lead to accidents or less than ideal out comes.
I would love to do it that way, but how would you move it? Moving with water would be heavy and bad for glass, right? Mostly drain, move and refill?

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Beautiful Angel! It looks like mine (spotted one) other than the fact that mine can't keep to herself. She's always fighting with other fish and damaging her fins.P1040687.JPG P1040688.JPG
Before anyone criticizes my sand... I have a 9" Pleco that removed all of the sand from the corner of my tank to bring up the crushed coral (I used it because my pH is low from the tap) and my sand isn't thick so I can't fix it. I love that Pleco but he destroys everything.

Reactions: Brittanirdh

Brittanirdh

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 15, 2016
TN
Beautiful Angel! It looks like mine (spotted one) other than the fact that mine can't keep to herself. She's always fighting with other fish and damaging her fins.View attachment 1190536 View attachment 1190537
Before anyone criticizes my sand... I have a 9" Pleco that removed all of the sand from the corner of my tank to bring up the crushed coral (I used it because my pH is low from the tap) and my sand isn't thick so I can't fix it. I love that Pleco but he destroys everything.
Pretty Angels! Mine was sold to me as a Philippine blue veiled? Not sure if that's right or not, but I like him/her anyway. Super mellow. My husband actually named the angel mellow. Picks on no one, and actually acts as the bouncer if others get rowdy.

MonsterFishCreeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2015
Md
I would love to do it that way, but how would you move it? Moving with water would be heavy and bad for glass, right? Mostly drain, move and refill?
Yup, I know it sounds like a lot of work but it's really the way to go in my opinion. Get a tub or 5 gallon buckets for the fish (walmart or home depot), put the fish in buckets, drain the tank, and move it. You can probably manage the tank with the gravel and decor still inside if you don't have to carry it far. Set the tank up either on the floor or something you're sure can carry the weight and fill it back up. As others have said there's no need to keep the tank water, the bacteria all live in your filters and on surfaces in your tank. Some folks advocate keeping a bit of the tank water just so there's not a massive shift in water parameters but there are people who do 100% water changes on discus tanks all the time.

Your husband is going to be a happy guy knowing he can take a few days to get the new tank in the wall!

Reactions: Brittanirdh

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Pretty Angels! Mine was sold to me as a Philippine blue veiled? Not sure if that's right or not, but I like him/her anyway. Super mellow. My husband actually named the angel mellow. Picks on no one, and actually acts as the bouncer if others get rowdy.
Mine were just sold to me as veiled. I don't think it's a blue angel but more of just a natural coral pattern. Look up pictures of Altum Angels and you'll see the resemblance.

Brittanirdh

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 15, 2016
TN
Mine were just sold to me as veiled. I don't think it's a blue angel but more of just a natural coral pattern. Look up pictures of Altum Angels and you'll see the resemblance.
I don't know what he is, I know his/her colors change a lot depending on time of day/lighting/mood. image.jpg

Reactions: Stedz2121

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store