Vintage Red Wings

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
So as not to derail a thread where I mentioned this, close to 2 yrs ago I purchased some vintage Red Wing boots, model 4473 from a local online for sale board.
This is the same boot. Red Wing 4473 Firefighter Boots (Multiple Sizes & Optional Zipper) | eBay
Fireman in this area are issued a new pair every year (if they want them) and an old retired fireman had several pairs in his closet - old stock, all new in the box, with tags, labels etc.
Same as the pair in the eBay ad above. I've been wearing Red Wings for many years, so I knew the size would fit to a T, so I met up with the seller and bought all 4 pairs for $300 CAD. The oldest pair has a date stamp of 08 90. As in August 1990. lol I have just started to wear the soles down on that pair, but the leather is still as good as the day they were made. In all fairness this was the first version of Red Wings supersole, prior to the clear sole addition, over the black (supersole 2.0) which admittingly wear much better. But still, what a testimonial to the quality of these USA made boots.

And just so no feelings get hurt, I have an old pair of Danner hunting/hiking boots that date back almost 45 yrs, and while I haven't worn them much in the past 20 yrs since I quit hunting, they are still good to go anytime that I need them. I actually bought the Danner boots pre-internet days, via a catalogue. For you younger folks, that's a book, that has pictures and prices. :)

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
By my calculations Neil, and given the insane longevity of these boots, if you live until you are about 426 you might just get through them all! Lol.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
lol you sound like one of my co-workers. I typically trade off on my work boots, so 2 pairs always on the go. Allows the leather to breathe & dry out between work outs. Either way, old age aside, I should be good for several more years, :)

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Heavens above. I've found the UK distribution site for red wing boots. The prices are eye watering, good god. I was briefly thinking of treating myself to a pair of these boots, but on reflection, at my age, I'd never get my money's worth, lol.

I suppose I could pass them down though. No doubt my great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandson would be over the moon at what his great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandad Esox left him, lol.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
After seeing what you paid for your new bike, I think you should be able to swing it. Oddly enough, when you wear them, they don't last nearly as long compared to when stored in a closet.

• Haha
Reactions: esoxlucius

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
After seeing what you paid for your new bike, I think you should be able to swing it. Oddly enough, when you wear them, they don't last nearly as long compared to when stored in a closet.
After buying that bike i can't even afford a pair of slippers now, lol.

So that's the secret behind their longevity, buy them and throw them in closet for a few years, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Btw.... I still have 2 other pairs of RW work boots, retired for yard and garden work, and 2 pairs of their Heritage line of boots. A pair of Iron Rangers, and a pair of Blacksmiths, that I have for every day wear. 👍

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Btw.... I still have 2 other pairs of RW work boots, retired for yard and garden work, and 2 pairs of their Heritage line of boots. A pair of Iron Rangers, and a pair of Blacksmiths, that I have for every day wear. 👍
Wow, that's a lot of leather! Are you telling me that you don't have a comfy smelly old pair of trainers that you don't love to slip into once in a while, lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store