Weld-on #40 and #42

rocco1100

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2011
^^^^^^Update to the above post^^^^^^

I am probably the rookie out of the group but here's my thought on your situation....

A pint of WO40 is way more Weldon than you need for this job. I would pour because the final product, if done right, will be seamless, clear, and get absorbed and become a part of the 2 acrylic panels. The smell is going to be pretty strong so a respirator is definitely needed. Pour and mix the Weldon in a clear plastic container (we used a paint mixing cup). Mix slow to minimize trapping bubbles. Pinch the lip of that container to create a V shape and pour thru the V. Pour from corner to corner slow enough so that you're actually chasing the Weldon thats running from corner to corner.

The rod you have is extruded acrylic and wont be as clear. Not sure if that will absorb into the acrylic panel when glued in place.

200ml will be enough for that seam. You may have to sand a bit if you get too many bubbles when mixing and pouring. Do some test pours on a junk tank if you have one.

Bigofishys

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2014
Sacramento
^^^^^^Update to the above post^^^^^^

I am probably the rookie out of the group but here's my thought on your situation....

A pint of WO40 is way more Weldon than you need for this job. I would pour because the final product, if done right, will be seamless, clear, and get absorbed and become a part of the 2 acrylic panels. The smell is going to be pretty strong so a respirator is definitely needed. Pour and mix the Weldon in a clear plastic container (we used a paint mixing cup). Mix slow to minimize trapping bubbles. Pinch the lip of that container to create a V shape and pour thru the V. Pour from corner to corner slow enough so that you're actually chasing the Weldon thats running from corner to corner.

The rod you have is extruded acrylic and wont be as clear. Not sure if that will absorb into the acrylic panel when glued in place.

200ml will be enough for that seam. You may have to sand a bit if you get too many bubbles when mixing and pouring. Do some test pours on a junk tank if you have one.
Thanks Brother! It's getting late so I'll give it a shot tomorrow after work. I'm so spoiled by youtube that when something isn't on there I find it crazy lol.

Hari Haran

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Pint would more than enough for 30 inches, try doing it in 100ml per pour and miltiple pours. try ketchup squeze bottle from dollar shop, makes your life easier as you stop squeezing to avoid any overrun/leak. you might waste a little doing this way but avoid any messup.

it will smell quite strong atleast for a day or two, you could try having it next to a door/window.

Bigofishys

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2014
Sacramento
Thanks fellas. I mixed outside and ran into the house to apply it. Smelled pretty bad for about an hour and then my built in house fan cleared it out. The crazing is pretty bad on both sides. Definitely won’t be able to resale for what I bought it for. I’m happier having a piece of mind. How soon can I move the tank? Hari Haran Hari Haran R rocco1100 B BichirKing

Reactions: BichirKing

Bigofishys

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2014
Sacramento
Thanks fellas. I mixed outside and ran into the house to apply it. Smelled pretty bad for about an hour and then my built in house fan cleared it out. The crazing is pretty bad on both sides. Definitely won’t be able to resale for what I bought it for. I’m happier having a piece of mind. How soon can I move the tank? Hari Haran Hari Haran R rocco1100 B BichirKing
4F1105E6-1F46-4483-BA87-3B275839D56F.jpeg

B464EF4F-EC8A-42E6-A001-059BCE3FDFA1.jpeg

70C07849-1A0F-4324-87C8-01AB96927352.jpeg

rocco1100

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2011
That bevel you poured looks great. You can move the tank after 2 hours but let the Weldon fully cure for a few days. We waited a week since we poured 9 seams in 2 days. You should be able to sand then buff away that crazing. We had something similar but it only happened on 2 seams out of 9. I have a feeling it has to do with existing scratches but that's just a guess. Also, do you remember the temp of your house when you poured?

rocco1100

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2011
Your panels are 3/4 inch thick so don't be afraid to sand into the crazing a bit. Or you can leave it because the crazing wont look as bad once you have water in the tank.

Last edited:
Reactions: BichirKing

Bigofishys

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2014
Sacramento
That bevel you poured looks great. You can move the tank after 2 hours but let the Weldon fully cure for a few days. We waited a week since we poured 9 seams in 2 days. You should be able to sand then buff away that crazing. We had something similar but it only happened on 2 seams out of 9. I have a feeling it has to do with existing scratches but that's just a guess. Also, do you remember the temp of your house when you poured?
Yeah, I'll probably just leave it alone. There was a bunch of scratches and I was tired of polishing lol. It was about 82 degrees plus or minus.

DM M35A2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2019
NC
On a new tank build with 1” cast acrylic, is #4 used to seem the tank together followed by #40 inside for the tip and pour? And do I HAVE to bevel the inside areas that will receive the #40 for the tip and pour?

Reactions: Hari Haran
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store