Well,Back Down the Rabbit Hole I go!

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Interesting, I don’t think I’ve ever seen one of them for sale before now that I think about it.

Reactions: tlindsey

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Very cool aquarium fish if your tank is big enough. Not superactive, but they display an unbelievable attack response when food is introduced. People who worry about being bitten by their Oscars or Piranhas...have never seen a Pike feeding...:)

Tiger Muskies??? That's one of my Grail Fish...for angling, not for aquariums. :)

The markings on your fish actually look kind of like Chain Pickerel or even Tiger Muskie; the Pike I am used to seeing have small oval white spots on a green background. Is ID certain? Counting the pores on the jaw is a positive ID method, and probably doable in a live fish in a tank.

I've rarely seen Pike this small, so maybe I'm way off on this, but it just looks off to me...?

wednesday13 wednesday13 might comment?

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
One of my favorite native species. My mother friend gave her a small esox. I really enjoyed watching that fish .

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Very cool aquarium fish if your tank is big enough. Not superactive, but they display an unbelievable attack response when food is introduced. People who worry about being bitten by their Oscars or Piranhas...have never seen a Pike feeding...:)

Tiger Muskies??? That's one of my Grail Fish...for angling, not for aquariums. :)

The markings on your fish actually look kind of like Chain Pickerel or even Tiger Muskie; the Pike I am used to seeing have small oval white spots on a green background. Is ID certain? Counting the pores on the jaw is a positive ID method, and probably doable in a live fish in a tank.

I've rarely seen Pike this small, so maybe I'm way off on this, but it just looks off to me...?

Thanks for the info and you just may be correct that the fish is misidentified,considering where I bought it from lol!.

Reactions: tlindsey

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south

1CA387E8-84E1-45BB-9B29-0B287BB43D4D.jpeg59D216E9-6689-4DF9-B7F0-C6A915076388.jpeg
Juvies have stripes/camo type pattern even. I see them regularly every year 3-6” range. They dont get that “classic pike” pattern until 12”+… I do agree its hard to tell in K krichardson pic. They get washed out when stressed. Its probably just from the bare tank. It may be a tiger tho. Very hard to tell with no size reference since they change so drastically from 4-18”… Should color up soon and we’ll know for sure lol… Pike juvies do have a bit of black under the eye for a while. Most people mistake this trait for only pickerel. What i pictured above are 100% pike. What looks off to me is under the eye and the black spots on the back fins.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Ah, so it is a size-related thing; thanks for that. Just didn't look "right" to me, but despite catching a ton of these fish, both in Ontario and Manitoba...I really only recall one specimen less than a foot long, and that was something like 35 years ago. My granddaughter caught a tiny one this year, maybe 3-4 inches long; I was more excited than she was when she pulled it in, and when it flipped off the barbless hook just as she lifted it from the water, I think I was more disappointed too. :)

There seems to be quite a difference between the fish in post 1 and post 7 above, but as you say, the post 1 fish seems pretty washed out. Looking forward to seeing how this critter develops. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store