Wels catfish, albino, ~10"

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Just skimmed through this thread again and it's occurred that at ~4"-5' this must be one of the longest-documented growing -outs of a fish on mfk! Idk if that sentence makes any sense, but either way it's a testament to the dedication you not only put into keeping your animals, but also documenting the process! Hats off, Viktor.

Also, it seems that after Russ' bad luck, us two are the only ones left here that have Wels cats (unless someone is keeping that info to themselves). Or do you happen to know of others?
There were 2 in cali… 1 from “my batch” and one from the last import… the one from my batch (2012) was kept in an outdoor pond and was offered for sale a cple yrs ago around 5’. Id say that one is still around somewhere in cali.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
T Texasrockwell had one albino from Wes's batch of 2016 if I recall correctly, just like ours. I ran into him in comments under one of my videos some time ago, maybe a year now. He said he still had the wels and promised to update on the MFK but I never saw it.

T Texasrockwell has a wels in his outdoor pond: (never mind that the thread is about a different fish) it's page 2 and 3 https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/pangasianodon-gigas-giant-mekong-catfish.690890/
Ah, found our exchange on YT under this video of ours
:

DUSTY - DOC - FLORA • 1 year ago Your wels is so big now. I got mine the same time as you, from Wes as well, but mine is not nearly as big. He mostly hides and is a very picky eater.
Fish Story, a DIY Public Aquarium & Fish Rescue • 1 year ago Thank you. Interesting. Glad to meet someone who's got a wels from Wes in 2016 like we did. It seems the difference is in how much yours feeds vs ours. They can be babies and often sulk for long times if anything changes. Given a cover, they tend to prefer to hide. Our spend the first year behind the 10 pumps and their piping. Then came out and took up the residence in the corner under the waterfall.
DUSTY - DOC - FLORA • 1 year ago I was Texasrockwell on Monster Fish Keepers, but haven’t been on there in a long time. Maybe I will get a post up with some pictures and estimate on size.
Fish Story, a DIY Public Aquarium & Fish Rescue • 1 year ago I remember you from the MFK and your lumber rubber pond on grass outside! It'd be nice if you updated your info. Together we can do a better job than each one separately.
DUSTY - DOC - FLORA • 1 year ago Wow you have a great memory. The pond is quite a bit larger now. I will get a post up tomorrow
Fish Story, a DIY Public Aquarium & Fish Rescue • 1 year ago Will look much forward to your update and new visuals.

• Love
Reactions: Chub_by and pwmin

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
The barbels are the easiest way to decipher aside from the head shape… i dont think any other silurus has 6 like s. glanis…. Merdionalis only has 4….

The chinese has been “hyped up” so much as the closest to its euro cousin that the majority believes it reaches large sizes 🤦‍♂️… just not the case either. Rod n reel record is a mere 39”-40”. Find it hard to believe one would ever reach anywhere near that size in captivity. After 6 yrs my chinese is 21”-22”. Misinformation will always out weigh the facts these days sadly.
:) hello Viktor, Russ and mfk friends! It's been a while since I've logged on. I have been busy traveling around and enjoying my extended vacation. Although no longer in my care, there exists a 'xanthic chinese wels catfish' that is over 40 inches stateside. I will ask the owner to send me a video of it eating. It's in a 900 gallon 10ft long tank with 2ft x 1ft tiles so getting a good idea of it's length isn't too hard.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
:) hello Viktor, Russ and mfk friends! It's been a while since I've logged on. I have been busy traveling around and enjoying my extended vacation. Although no longer in my care, there exists a 'xanthic chinese wels catfish' that is over 40 inches stateside. I will ask the owner to send me a video of it eating. It's in a 900 gallon 10ft long tank with 2ft x 1ft tiles so getting a good idea of it's length isn't too hard.
Nice to see u back Vince! Any tank mates with it? Getting tired of mine being alone haha… tempted to try again

Texasrockwell

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2015
T Texasrockwell had one albino from Wes's batch of 2016 if I recall correctly, just like ours. I ran into him in comments under one of my videos some time ago, maybe a year now. He said he still had the wels and promised to update on the MFK but I never saw it.

Ah, found our exchange on YT under this video of ours
:

DUSTY - DOC - FLORA • 1 year ago Your wels is so big now. I got mine the same time as you, from Wes as well, but mine is not nearly as big. He mostly hides and is a very picky eater.
Fish Story, a DIY Public Aquarium & Fish Rescue • 1 year ago Thank you. Interesting. Glad to meet someone who's got a wels from Wes in 2016 like we did. It seems the difference is in how much yours feeds vs ours. They can be babies and often sulk for long times if anything changes. Given a cover, they tend to prefer to hide. Our spend the first year behind the 10 pumps and their piping. Then came out and took up the residence in the corner under the waterfall.
DUSTY - DOC - FLORA • 1 year ago I was Texasrockwell on Monster Fish Keepers, but haven’t been on there in a long time. Maybe I will get a post up with some pictures and estimate on size.
Fish Story, a DIY Public Aquarium & Fish Rescue • 1 year ago I remember you from the MFK and your lumber rubber pond on grass outside! It'd be nice if you updated your info. Together we can do a better job than each one separately.
DUSTY - DOC - FLORA • 1 year ago Wow you have a great memory. The pond is quite a bit larger now. I will get a post up tomorrow
Fish Story, a DIY Public Aquarium & Fish Rescue • 1 year ago Will look much forward to your update and new visuals.
LOL. I totally forgot to post this. I will try to get it up tonight. I will post it in the main chat and tag you Fish Story, a DIY Public Aquarium & Fish Rescue. I am in the process of doing my yearly cleaning of my pond, so its a but of a mess right now.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Some more footage from Texasrockwell:

Texasrockwell

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2015
Just some extra info on my wels. I also bought 2 of these from Wes, same time as Victor got his 2, and I unfortunately had one jump out and die in the first week. My Wels was very aggressive in the beginning and had a voracious appetite, then around 18in mark I moved it to my pond. In the pond it became very different, very timid and shy and doesn’t seem to eat much at all. It hides under some plants in the root system and hardly ever comes out. The pond is full of aggressive fish, Pima, red tails, hybrids and they are always competing. The Pima is definitely the alpha of the pond. Size wise it is probably about 3 ft, so not even close to as big as Victors. I have considered dividing up the pond and moving the wels to see if I can get it to put on some more size. Thoughts?

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
As wednesday13 wednesday13 reported, and I concur, wels are not psychologically stable and robust fish, it seems. Any change, any stress, any significant event in their tank / pond, sends them sulking for long times, even such an innocent change as changing one species of frozen-fortified fish for another, say mullet for a mackerel.

Mine too goes on frequent fasts, sometimes days, sometimes weeks, rarely 1-2 months, mind you, he is clearly the alpha of his 25K, no one messes with him. I think in your pond, him not being the alpha at all and with so many rivals, it can be explainable that his appetite is relatively lower, but I can't say it is lower than average on the absolute scale, perhaps mine is still managing to feed more than average, who knows?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store