What Algae Eaters Can I Have With a Fire Eel

RyanScanner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2024
Western Australia
Since FE only have small mouths can I keep a school of Roseline sharks or something similar like Siamese Algae Eaters with one. I want a schooling dither like algae eaters. Or will they just get too stressed.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
You could try some decent sized ancistrus (ancistri?? lol).

What does the tank set up look like? Lots of structure, bare?

I use farlowella as a clean up fish in a few tanks. They help but are by no means a solution.
Look at why you are getting so much algae......photoperiod, excess nutrients, etc.....and try to fix that issue.
I mostly take a long, slow approach to fixing issues so I don't inadvertently unbalance another aspect of the tank.

If its algae on the glass bothering you, then magnets, steel wool or scrubbing pad it is. Even in a 36gal with 14+ hillstream loaches, they can't keep glass algae free.

Reactions: Midwater

RyanScanner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2024
Western Australia
It’s not set up yet but it will be mostly large drift wood logs, hollowed drift wood and a stump with root structures. Sand substrate with a few basalt river rocks I collected to weigh down the egg crates the drift wood will be attached too.
Just assuming the worst, even with cycling using nitrifying bacteria fishless my tanks always go through a cycles of algae blooms.
I was hoping to put a row of chain-sword and Java fern in background but I might skip the live plants as I already have 2 fully planted tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store