What coexists with Alligator Gars in the wild?

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
I have been raising an Alligator Gar (legal here) for years, and he has been alone for a while. (Not his fault.) I've started to think about adding some tankmates and like the idea of a "native tank." (He has lived with many other types of fish and is not aggressive. They would just need to be large enough not to get eaten.) I can grow-out in another aquarium if needed.
I like the idea of a catfish or two, and maybe 1 or 2 mid-water swimmers.
Thanks!

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
In the wild, Alligator Gar coexist with multiple large fish. Some include, sturgeon, paddlefish, bowfin, even Largemouth bass, flathead/channel/blue catfish just to name a few. For mid water swimmers, I’ve seen them with really big Yellow perch and max sized crappie. Good luck man! Hope this helped. If you want to get some small native fish, you can try Jonah’s aquarium. He always gets some cool fish you can grow out.

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
In the wild, Alligator Gar coexist with multiple large fish. Some include, sturgeon, paddlefish, bowfin, even Largemouth bass, flathead/channel/blue catfish just to name a few. For mid water swimmers, I’ve seen them with really big Yellow perch and max sized crappie. Good luck man! Hope this helped. If you want to get some small native fish, you can try Jonah’s aquarium. He always gets some cool fish you can grow out.
Thanks for the input! That definitely gives me some good ideas. Also, thanks for the heads-up on Jonah's Aquarium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store