What kind is my lonely datnoid?

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Curious of the long term effects of freshwater. Maybe they are prone to disease easily combated with salinity.

Reactions: kno4te

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The silver dat as far as i know have been found in mostly brackish water. A few in freshwater. Not sure if they are captive bred now and if that makes a difference.

The spot could be lymph but does look like skin lesions on eels and sliver cars when kept in pure freshwater.

Hope it gets better!
Yes same here,only the silver is said to be found in brackish waters.Hardly anyone keeps them in brackish but then we don't see a heck of a lot of ten inch silvers either way.They are still probably the least popular of all the dats so it is not really known if they need to be kept in some amount of salt as adults.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you all, especially Kno4te and Krich.

I think your info that silver dats are brackish water fish explains what I am seeing. I clearly cannot get rid of it and none of my other fish have it (some tank mates and system mates had something superficially similar, which might or might not have been the same, but it cleared on its own on them long before the dat joined them).

It looks like I can't give this fish what it needs - a brackish tank. I need to find it a new home but very, very few people keep such tanks.

For now, I will aim to get some good photos of what I am seeing, so, with your tremendous help, I can grow surer of the diagnosis.

This is my first and only dat, so I don't really know what I am doing. My luck, I had to get the only one that's brackish.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thank you all, especially Kno4te and Krich.

I think your info that silver dats are brackish water fish explains what I am seeing. I clearly cannot get rid of it and none of my other fish have it (some tank mates and system mates had something superficially similar, which might or might not have been the same, but it cleared on its own on them long before the dat joined them).

It looks like I can't give this fish what it needs - a brackish tank. I need to find it a new home but very, very few people keep such tanks.

For now, I will aim to get some good photos of what I am seeing, so, with your tremendous help, I can grow surer of the diagnosis.

This is my first and only dat, so I don't really know what I am doing. My luck, I had to get the only one that's brackish.
Only thing that comes to mind is what funwow mentioned is maybe a tank with some salt in it. Not completely brackish. Adding a small amount every couple of weeks. Maybe a small amount of salt can keep the fish’s skin clean. Just a thought that way don’t have to get rid of the silver dat.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Only thing that comes to mind is what funwow mentioned is maybe a tank with some salt in it. Not completely brackish. Adding a small amount every couple of weeks. Maybe a small amount of salt can keep the fish’s skin clean. Just a thought that way don’t have to get rid of the silver dat.
Thanks, bro. As I said, I ain't got a separate tank at the moment. If I go salt route, I'll have to do two 240 gal tanks full of f/w fish, which I can't risk. Hence, if diagnosis is confirmed, I will need to rehome, most sensibly and likely.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I'm wondering if you couldn't get away with a couple weeks of treatment out of a year... If he shows no ill affect so far it is something that could be considered when a 40 gallon frees up. That said such treatment for one fish may be undesirable considering.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Shame you can't keep it in a tank of it's own but hopefully you can find a good home for it.

Reactions: Matteus

Arowana718

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
nyc
Yeah, long term in freshwater will cause problems for the the silver datnoid. Brackish is the way to go for them unfortunely. Best of luck

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hey datnoid fish heads, got some photos as promised. It looks awful but again the fish behaves as if all is fine and these white things come and go. This is at about its worst as far as the number and size of them and was shot a few weeks back. Right now, the fish has only a few of these left on its entire body. I've not done anything to treat it. Haven't changed a thing. They come and go like this for what seems like a year or longer.

Must be from being in freshwater. I am sure you are right - it needs brackish. Can it live in full marine water?

They look to me like lumps of opaque mucus.

100_8034.JPG 100_8035.JPG 100_8036.JPG 100_8037.JPG 100_8038.JPG 100_8039.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store