What pufferfish for freshwater can I buy that do not require trimming teeth?

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
I have had Amazon puffers, required trimming of teeth. And did not like them, as they were always nervous.
I had the dwarf puffer and they were too small to be seen. Did not like them.

I had figure 8 puffers, they turn out to be brackish, so I got rid of them.

I then bought 3 Congo spotted puffers, their teeth overgrown, tried trimming the teeth and it was to most stressful job I have ever done in my life. The mouth of these puffers had very complicated structure, becuade the teeth are attached to some other part of the mouth and cutting is bit going to detach it unless you cut some part of the mouth layer. So in process two of them survived and on me of them died from mouth injury and use of sedation. I got traumatised by her death and thinking of getting rid of the other two as well.
I tried a lot to find a puffer fish which would be similar to the Congo spotted puffers but wouldn’t require trimming of teeth. I don’t know how in wild God handles their teeth that it never overgrown in wild but in my aquarium their teeth overgrown, I tried everything, giving them hard shelled snails such as ram horn snails , frozen shrimp, etc. but nothing stopped their teeth from becoming overgrown.
I don’t know care how expensive, I need to find puffer fish that is freshwater and doesn’t grow too big , as my tank is 150liters and I want to be stress free from the overgrown teeth. Please recommend what kind of puffer should I buy? Appreciate your help!

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
In the wild they’re eating something to keep it well trimmed. My theory for amazons is that being a riverine species, they would spend a lot of energy fighting current and therefore eat more, leading to teeth that need to be trimmed more by hard shelled foods.
I would look into more carinotetraodon species like the redeye types. They will be like dwarf puffers but a larger fish that would be more noticeable from farther away.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
I had a large colony of spotted congo puffers and it was a nightmare to trim their teeth. They were rock hard and it was super stressful. Thankfully, only a couple of them needed it.

However, I found them easier to keep and maintain than most other puffers by far.

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
I had a large colony of spotted congo puffers and it was a nightmare to trim their teeth. They were rock hard and it was super stressful. Thankfully, only a couple of them needed it.

However, I found them easier to keep and maintain than most other puffers by far.
Thanks
how did you sedate them I mean what did you use to sedate them when performing cutting of teeth?

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Thanks
how did you sedate them I mean what did you use to sedate them when performing cutting of teeth?
I was going to use Syncaine but read about some person cutting their Amazon Puffers’ beaks without a sedative so I tried it. It would have been fine except their teeth were almost impossible to cut through…very tough.

if I ever cut Spotted Congo puffer beaks again, I will either use Syncaine or Clove oil

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store