What's the most grusome death one of your fish has suffered?

Snowflake311

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Lake Tahoe, ca

This was a sad day. A family member passed away from cancer this day. Then I found my Favorite Chocolate cichlid named Buggy on the rug getting dry. It was too late. That could not have been a good way to go. He eye was kind of smushed into the carpet she must have hit hard. She was a big fish to be jumping.

I think my young pair of severums might have caused the jump. They were getting a little crazy. I thought they were too young to breed but a few weeks after Buggy jumped The severums laid eggs. This fish Buggy was so sweet and mellow she never wanted to hurt anyone. Poor Buggy.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Vibsee

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2016
India
IMG_20161129_134330.JPG
I was out of town for 2 days.. To my sheerest rotten luck the electric suppy in my house conked out for one entire day.. this guy was in the hospital tank.. Came back and saw him lying at the bottom of the tank... He ran out of oxygen.

Zmeflyby

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2016
Hmm

I don't know what's worse. My arowana died from jumping out of the 540 or my albino Oscar getting his eyes eaten from a smaller tiger oscar.

koi-only5

Feeder Fish
Jan 25, 2017
What's your worst fish loss story? Not counting feeders. (Although I once had a large frog swim in circles for half an hour because one of his legs got bitten off). ie What's the worst/saddest/most violent way one of your pet fish died? Please omit all "...sleeps with the fishes" jokes.
I had a 2 inch jardini Arowana and a broken filter you will probably know where this is going I checked on the fish came back 5 minutes later and could no find it I looked a the filter his head was sticking out I pulled him out and mid section was halfway grinded I then opened the filter lid removed the media and found one of my red minor tetras dead a 13 dollar filter killed two fish a 60 dollar Arowana and a three dollar tetra I hate that filter.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I had a 2 inch jardini Arowana and a broken filter you will probably know where this is going I checked on the fish came back 5 minutes later and could no find it I looked a the filter his head was sticking out I pulled him out and mid section was halfway grinded I then opened the filter lid removed the media and found one of my red minor tetras dead a 13 dollar filter killed two fish a 60 dollar Arowana and a three dollar tetra I hate that filter.
It's called an intake sponge or strainer. Helps a heap to keep fish out of it.

Reactions: RocketGarStar

mr cichlid

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
i had couple clown loaches in african tank and was moving big rocks around while cleaning. broke the heater and shock the living snot out of my self. the clowns were effected immediately. one went straight to the bottom and the other swam in fast small circles. both were vibrating like fast convolutions. they both ended on bottom upside down lifeless. about 20 mins later they were up and swimming like nothing happened...guess this story doesnt qualify cause the lived...disregard. my northern pike choked on a dempsey. the stupidest one is when i removed all fry from nice festae pair and male killed female that night. i assume he held her accountable.

The Mother Confessor

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2017
UK
Yesterday I found my African Butterfly Fish on the floor, crispy. He was non biotope to my Amazon tank and I don't think he was used to the bigger Cichlids so he must have gotten spooked and jumped out. He was purchased without even knowing he was from Africa, so I didn't realise at the time that he wasn't biotope, but I didn't care because he was such an oddball, I really liked the little thing.

I was looking everywhere for it, I had resigned to it being eaten, which is odd because my Arowana is the same size and nothing ever bothered them, then my dog started sniffing around on the floor next to the tank repeatedly. I went to see what was up with her, and in between the tank and my sub-woofer was the crispy little guy. He had gotten out of the small gap at the back where the filter inlet goes in and flapped around on the floor till he got carpet fluff, dog hair and god knows what all over him. Poor guy. He was crispy fried. It was horrific.

Needless to say, I'm now sourcing some acrylic sheets cut to size to make a sliding cover to go under the lid and lights to stop my baby Arowana meeting the same fate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store