Where to buy South American Lungfish in the US?

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Hey all,

I’m currently looking for a SAL and have a very difficult time finding one available. Has this fish always been this elusive? Any new regulations that make it hard to import or get ahold of?

If anyone knows a seller or store that can ship to NY area would be super helpful!

Cheers,
Ray

The Moose

Gambusia
May 20, 2014
Utah
Looking for a SAL myself and running into the same problem. Was told by one LFS that they are out of season and I should see more of them available later this month or later???

Reactions: Rayfishowner

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Looking for a SAL myself and running into the same problem. Was told by one LFS that they are out of season and I should see more of them available later this month or later???
Hmmm. I asked around and everyone either told me that they have a hard time getting them rn or their suppliers don’t carry. I’ll keep you updated if I find one and please do the same!

Reactions: Moose-mann

The Lost Tapes

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2021
My LFS had them in stock last summer, but they didn't the year before. My best guess is to check a variety of local stores and if not then try to find online, I only have seen it at one store so they are rare. I would recommend getting a small one and raising it up since that way it is more likely to eat dry/prepared foods since its small and I got mine to eat flakes (and it still does over 1 foot long) and it eats all the food I give to my fish without a fuss. Also raising it up from small means you get an idea to how the fish behaves and (hopefully) will be able to avoid aggression/predation on tank mates.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
My LFS had them in stock last summer, but they didn't the year before. My best guess is to check a variety of local stores and if not then try to find online, I only have seen it at one store so they are rare. I would recommend getting a small one and raising it up since that way it is more likely to eat dry/prepared foods since its small and I got mine to eat flakes (and it still does over 1 foot long) and it eats all the food I give to my fish without a fuss. Also raising it up from small means you get an idea to how the fish behaves and (hopefully) will be able to avoid aggression/predation on tank mates.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah def still looking and prob be a few months before I find one!

Reactions: tlindsey

Moose-mann

Feeder Fish
May 3, 2022
Global Fish Co. just got a 24” SAL in stock. If he was half that size he would be mine already. Thought I would share.

shivam

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2015
USA
tinyurl.com
I found some South American babies on eBay. I don’t wanna post a sales link if it’s not allowed.
Just search (lungfish) on eBay and it’ll be there.
Considering ordering some myself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store