Why can't tigers be bred ?

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Datnoids aren't cichlids and as such one can't assume that juts keeping a group under ideal conditions will yield breeding. Take into consideration that Dats are probably solitary ambush predators, then take into consideration that if that's true they probably only seek each other out during the breeding season. If that is the case then keeping them in a group may actually cause a stressful situation which they maybe capable of living in but may never be comfortable enough to breed in. These are things that are the unknowns that everyone is speaking about. When you look at aquarium fish the ones that aren't usually captive bred are usually large predators ATF, Payara, and maybe Datnoids fit in that niche as well. Perhaps seasonal congregating and migrating of the sexes is just one of many environmental cues that we are having trouble reproducing for Dats. Again this is just conjecture on my part as others have already said there are a lot of factors we're unaware of concerning Dats.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I am having trouble finding what their natural schooling (or not) behavior is - but you do have a good point. However, we can't assume the vice-versa either.
If being kept in a group was stressful, then it would show, no ?

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
I am having trouble finding what their natural schooling (or not) behavior is - but you do have a good point. However, we can't assume the vice-versa either.
For all we know it does by them being unstable. I have a tank with 7 ranging from 3-13"(2 at 13"). Only two are stable 24/7. One indo and one ntt. Very little interaction with each other besides the occasional chase. So little is known about these fish and that's one of the most intriguing aspects to me. I've never even seen a video of this fish in it's natural habitat as I've seen with so many others.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Stress doesn't always show readily as signs of stress and sickness make a fish a prime target for predation. That's why fish diseases often seems to come on so suddenly, it's because even when a fish feels horrible they do their best to act as though their fine to avoid becoming a predators target or loosing territory to a healthier fish who would normally be a sub. In nature it's always best to deceive especially when it comes to weakness and why a healthy fish seems to suddenly be at deaths door when we finally perceive them being sick.

shortempermj

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2011
Los Angeles
The only way to breed those groups are to try to breed them in their natural waters.. all fenced up or screened and water changes naturaly.. we dont know maybe these tigers go to brackish to breed.. who knows?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
I disagree - that is why it's good to have a group - If you have enough adults, for a long-enough time, it's only natural that breeding activity should occur - we don't need to know the sex, if we intend to breed them, and people who intend to breed something, normally start out with a group to improve the chances of having males and females.
So, I'd love to get some input from those who DO have long term groups of Dats.
There have been plenty of members on here with big dats that have kept them in groups for a long time but just cause their all in together don't mean there going to do anything. Even where they come from they have them in fish hatcherys in big groups in have them in there native water and feed them the food they normally eat and still won't breed for them. So that leaves it a mystery. There vids online about it... You need to dig and dig across many fish sites to gather info . Being able to translate will help you to. Plus I know of only one person on here that had a dat lay eggs and show breeding signs. It wasn't even with another dat when it layed eggs! It was with another kind of fish. That's the only one that I know of even coming close. So just like them being stable or unstable, them breeding will remain a secret and that's that lol.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Great posts Koltsix..pretty much covers all the bases regarding the subject.I've said it before but more study on these fish needs to be done in their natural habitat in order to understand them better...We need someone like Zeb Hogan to take an interest in them.

Arowana718

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
nyc
There have been plenty of members on here with big dats that have kept them in groups for a long time but just cause their all in together don't mean there going to do anything. Even where they come from they have them in fish hatcherys in big groups in have them in there native water and feed them the food they normally eat and still won't breed for them. So that leaves it a mystery. There vids online about it... You need to dig and dig across many fish sites to gather info . Being able to translate will help you to. Plus I know of only one person on here that had a dat lay eggs and show breeding signs. It wasn't even with another dat when it layed eggs! It was with another kind of fish. That's the only one that I know of even coming close. So just like them being stable or unstable, them breeding will remain a secret and that's that lol.

Is there a thread about the datnoid laying eggs? I want to read it

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Great posts Koltsix..pretty much covers all the bases regarding the subject.I've said it before but more study on these fish needs to be done in their natural habitat in order to understand them better...We need someone like Zeb Hogan to take an interest in them.
Yup the study in there natural habitat is the only way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store