Why is it important to find a reputable breeder?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Before we get into the meat and potatoes of this thread, I wish to caveat that this information is for someone who wants a purebred puppy. If you wish to adopt a shelter dog, then obviously this information will not apply to you. Adopting a shelter dog is always a viable option and should be considered by those who are not purchasing a dog to do a specific job (which is, after all, the original purpose of pure bred dogs).

The importance of finding a reputable breeder is an issue that should be at the forefront of consideration for any prospective buyer of a new dog. This is important because you need to know where your new puppy is coming from. A reputable breeder will be able to prove to you that the pups they're producing are free of genetic defects, free of health issues, able to properly conform to breed standards of structure, temperament and behavior and, importantly for many of us, a reputable breeder will often be cheaper than a back yard breeder (BYB) or puppy mill pup from a pet store.

When you're looking for a new dog, the first thing you need to do is learn about the breed you are considering. In order to learn what to look for, you need to thoroughly research your breed. If you don't know about your breed you'll have a very hard time telling if someone is blowing smoke up your backside when you ask them questions about their operation. You need to know what questions to ask; what health questions are pertinent for the breed in question (does this breed have hip issues, eye issues, spine issues, breathing issues, etc.) and whether or not the parents and other ancestors have been tested, what scores the breeders dogs earned on their various title trials (Schutzhund, herding, points toward a show championship, etc), pedigree information, etc. A reputable breeder will expect this, welcome it and even enjoy the discussion of these subjects. A BYB will often become defensive and evasive when presented with the same questions because those questions threaten to expose them for what they are.

Things to expect and look for when dealing with a reputable breeder:
-Asks you LOTS of questions
-Very open to answering your questions
-Often makes you prove you are good enough to have a puppy
-The breeder will want to learn about you
-Open about titles and health checks
-Often willing to share their operation in depth
-Often a very small operation where dogs are treated as pets, but clearly professional and involved with the breed
-Sometimes very large operations, but the big ones are almost always intensively involved in all aspects of the breed, not just producing pups
-Intimately familiar with their dogs' pedigrees
-Advertises specific accomplishments (ie Sire: V2 (WUSV '09), SchH3, FH, kk1 a-fast hips. dam: SchH1, kk1, a-normal hips)
-Will often plaster their advertisements of the actual parents doing actual trialing with the dogs in question and stacked images
-Common for the father of the litter NOT to be present​

Red flags for a BYB:
-Little to no knowledge about health tests
-Little to no knowledge of titles/trialing
-Will have little to know knowledge of the dogs pedigree, often won't even know their dog's parents registered names
-Ambiguous selling points for the pups (ie champion bloodlines or AKC registered or some such nonsense)
-Tries to sell pups based on the accomplishments of the pup's grandparents, great-grandparents or farther back. The parents will rarely have any titles of their own.
-Will have pictures of their dog laying on the couch or playing with the kids, etc.
-Tries to pawn the pup off on you to make a buck
-Defensive or evasive when asked questions
-Doesn't ask you many questions if at all
-After meeting the BYB, it's common to get the impression that a male and female dog of the same breed had an accidental mating​

It is important to find a reputable breeder to be able to ensure you are getting what you think you are getting. Buying a pup from a backyard breeder or a puppymill produced pet store dog is akin to buying a car over the internet without not only seeing it in person, but without even having a picture emailed to you. To continue the car metaphor, the reputable breeder will let you test drive the car, will not only give you a carfax they'll explain it to you and they will warrant the car for a long time to come. Quite simply put, you don't know what you're getting, especially in America where AKC registration fraud is common enough that the AKC has been sued over pedigree fraud. (2) (3) If the "breeder" (BYB) in question doesn't know basic issues about their breed, how can they assure you of what you're purchasing for $500, $750, $1000 or $1500 or more? A backyard breeder puts forth no effort into furthering the breed, their only goal is to make a buck and/or unload some unwanted pups.

If you buy from a reputable breeder, you can be assured of exactly what you are receiving. A reputable breeder produces pups for the love of the breed and doesn't do it to make money; many only ask enough money to cover their costs of producing the pups (which can be significant when done correctly). A reputable breeder will give you a dog that is true to its breed standard and if an issue pops up, such as with health or temperament, will guarantee the dog and provide good customer service to ensure your happiness.

You're not going to get that with a BYB.

NEVER BUY A PUP FROM A PET STORE!

Purebred puppies for sale at pet stores acquire their dogs from puppy mills. A puppy mill mass produces dogs in an assembly line fashion. There is no concern given for temperamental soundness, health or conformation to the breed standard. These dogs are mass produced for no reason other than to earn a profit. A quick Google search will give you more stomach turning information on this subject than you could ever really want.

There is however one exception that makes it OK to get a puppy or dog from your local pet store; when that LPS works hand in hand with the local Humane Society to get better exposure for animals at the shelter. My LPS works with the shelter; the only dogs you'll see there are ones from the shelter that for which the pet store is helping the shelter find homes. To get one of these pups you pay the $65 adoption fee and have to fill out the appropriate Humane Society paperwork; no money goes to the pet store. Obviously in this situation, it would be OK to buy a pup from the pet store.

I hope this thread will help any new prospective dog buyers go forward with purchasing a puppy with a little more confidence. Getting a new dog is a life changing decision and is one that should be made with the intention of providing for the dog for the rest of the dog's life. Because of this, it is absolutely vital that you know what you're getting into when you choose a dog, this way both you and the dog can live a long, happy life together.

Good luck in your search for your new friend. Don't forget to check your local shelter!

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Hello Rob!

Sticking this and thank you for this. :)

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
By the way, most BYBs also prefer you meet them somewhere else, not where their dogs currently live. This is one of the red flags to consider. A reputable breeder would never hide anything from a potential buyer if he wants a satisfied customer. If a breeder refuses to allow me to set up a kennel visit appointment and random appointments before buying a pup, then I simply tell them I'll back off the transaction and explain this is not the kind of attitude I wish to deal with. Frank of me but that's how it should be. They have to realize there is so much more to rehoming a pup than just pass it off with your bucks.

kissofcrimson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2010
North Carolina, USA
www.facebook.com
Really great read. I actually got into an in depth discussion with my bf about this the other day. We were going down the road and a guy had Rottweiler puppies with the mom in a parking lot. I made the comment that no reputable breeder would sell their puppies out of a parking lot, they want you to visit their home and that if a breeder doesn't want you to visit its an immediate red flag. I was being extremely harsh about it (but then again I see animal abuse all the time being an ARA) so of course I'm not going to give that person a chance when what I said was true.

It just kills me that all these people buy puppies and don't even check to see if the parents health is good or where the puppies are actually coming from.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Briggadane

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Thanks for posting this! I would like to point out that sometimes the stud dog owner WILL have the sire but not the dam. We occasionally take a puppy back as a stud fee. If this is the case, and you get the chance to buy such a puppy, it is more often than not the TRUE pick of the litter. Thats where the term came from.
Also, you can legitimately arrange to meet a good breeder at, on the way to or from a dog show. I've gone coast to coast to just watch a dog show. Taking puppies along with you is not a great hardship. Its not common, but its not unheard of either. So dont let distance from a good breeder deter you. If its show season, we can sometime make what my breed calls a "dane train" to get a puppy to new home without flying it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store