Common Wolf Fish with Snake heads

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Mixing top predators like that is always asking for trouble. Size will determine who wins that fight, but you are looking at a multi hundred dollar loss either way.
fishtankphil fishtankphil

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
I would not try it unless I had a thousand gallon tank/pond maybe? But I have seen a lot of snakeheads. I have seen dogs hunt large snake heads in shallow water. They dont have crazy teeth that tiger fish or wolf fish have. I am not sure why people put them in the same boat. They are more like dog fish, or cat fish. I have never heard of or seen anything attack an adult common wolf fish. The teeth on them is as big as a dogs teeth.

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
Mixing top predators like that is always asking for trouble. Size will determine who wins that fight, but you are looking at a multi hundred dollar loss either way.
fishtankphil fishtankphil
Any time u mix apex predators it's always going to be a risk. I have the big Goliath and the lacerdae living somewhat harmoniously together. I have witnessed the wolf go up and bump the tiger but it's very rare situation and they all get along. They occupy different areas of the water and have different swimming speeds so it's a good mix as far as my animals are concerned. I do have some driftwood in there as well to serve as refuge for anyone that needs it. The wolf is very tame comes right up to the top front section to eat within a few inches of me. If you create the environment for them to be able to feel safe and allowed to flourish and with plenty of space, they should do fine the majority of the time but some animals are incapable of that and def do your research and make the best decision possible for the ANIMAL'S sake.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Their teeth are specialized for different things. While a wolf may be good at tearing and chewing, a snake is lightning fast and has teeth good at holding things in it’s mouth.

Reactions: tlindsey

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
Any time u mix apex predators it's always going to be a risk. I have the big Goliath and the lacerdae living somewhat harmoniously together. I have witnessed the wolf go up and bump the tiger but it's very rare situation and they all get along. They occupy different areas of the water and have different swimming speeds so it's a good mix as far as my animals are concerned. I do have some driftwood in there as well to serve as refuge for anyone that needs it. The wolf is very tame comes right up to the top front section to eat within a few inches of me. If you create the environment for them to be able to feel safe and allowed to flourish and with plenty of space, they should do fine the majority of the time but some animals are incapable of that and def do your research and make the best decision possible for the ANIMAL'S sake.
You feed them with your hands? You put your fingers near the wolf fish mouth? Videos?

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
None of these are apex predators outside of your fish tank. In the wild Eagles and otters eat them like chips. In the wild fish are really low on the food chain.

eagleeattigerfish.jpg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
That’s a small tigerfish. A big gatf is not eagle food, same goes for any of the large wolves or snakes. Assuming humans and special cases are left out the equation, these animals are all at the top of their food chain.

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
Yes these predators will take out any fish. You really think the otter if hungry would not kill an adult snakehead? Nile crocs, snakes and wild cats eat them all also.

giant-otter-nabs-arapaima.jpg

ottereatingsnakehads.jpeg

Attachments

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store