Final Tank Setup

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
I've had horrible luck with java fern in my water as well. Either dies off or doesn't grow. Java moss, however, has become one of my favorites. It does surprisingly well and has a very cool look after a few months if you fix it to a rock or wood. It will slowly cover the pieces of decor that you attach it to.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Joshuakahan

Banned
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Looks good mate.
You going to try live plants? I'd give val a go. Grows really well in sand, better than gravel IME.
Nice brochis. I need to get into cories.
This just further confirms that plants hate me. My last attempt was jungle and spiral val in sand. The only plant I haven’t killed was hornwart and duckweed, the herpes of the plant world

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
If wanting plants I would really suggest a plant light. Be it bulbs for normal fixtures or LED's.
Every time I tried plants before they as others slowly died off. Now that I actually got a plant light I am overgrown and throwing away 50 or so plants every six months.

What I started with
20220802_171558.jpg
And it currently
20230512_192133.jpg
These are from the last thinning, that's a shower curtain folded in half for scale. And you can see some are six feet or more in length.
20230505_120649.jpg20230505_140959.jpg

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Javas never really took off for me - they don’t die but never grow well.
I’m a fan of giant duckweed- not as messy as the small stuff.
I bloody hate wolffia.
I grow java real well.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
This just further confirms that plants hate me. My last attempt was jungle and spiral val in sand. The only plant I haven’t killed was hornwart and duckweed, the herpes of the plant world
Only thing with val is they don't like competition for light, and prefer a seasoned substrate/ something to feed on first. I use root tabs from aquagreen to start mine off

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
I agree with you on the Anubias, though somehow mine bloomed once, lol. It didn't last that long. Eventually, it just died, and I had to throw it out.

Would Cabomba work? I like the feathery look of it. I've seen people have it as a giant floating plant and I thought that would be cool. It would provide dimmer conditions that my fish would prefer and also get a ton of light for the plant itself.
I've also tried Java Fern, which died quickly, and Amazon Sword...and many more. We shall not talk of those...erm...little happy mistakes. :hitting: I also had some red root floaters, which were cool but a pain. The filter would always make them bob all the way to the bottom and get caught on various decor. To keep them alive, I had to constantly pry them out of my decor, *sigh* those were fun days lol.
Never done cabomba. Illegal where I live.
I do crypts in all my tanks but they're in little pots which i can move around, and I also use root tabs. Subswassertang or freshwater seaweed works good. Just a pain with the way i fill my tanks up. Goes flying.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Here is my other concern regarding live plants, most of the time, my plants had a bunch of algae on them. How would I prevent this from happening again if I did live?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Best way to prevent algae in a planted tank is having so many plants that they outcompete the algae.
I’ve also had success dosing rid-x to the tank - the bacteria eventually outcompetes the algae as well.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Best way to prevent algae in a planted tank is having so many plants that they outcompete the algae.
I’ve also had success dosing rid-x to the tank - the bacteria eventually outcompetes the algae as well.
Agree
Starting with enough plants to outcompete algae right from the get go, is important, if algae gets the upper hand right away, a minimum amount of plants are not equip to compete it. The plant to fish ratio must be heavier on the plant side.
And one thing to consider is the difference between true algae, and cyanobacteria (many people confuse them).
Cyanobacteria can make use of any nutrients they have access to, different species of true plants have specific needs
Algae usually feels gritty to the touch, cyanobacteria feels slimy.
I have also used Rid-X to outcompete Cyanobacteria.
1701700537296.png1701700572407.png
Left pic, Cyanobacteria trying to take over a log in one of my former tanks, right, that same log after a little over a month, dosing with Rid-X
Rid-X contains a powdered form of inert probiotic benefial aerobes that compete for nutrients with nuisance algae, and cyanobacteria.
They are made for, and normally added tp septic systems. I get Rid-X from the hardware store.

Reactions: Deadeye

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Agree
Starting with enough plants to outcompete algae right from the get go, is important, if algae gets the upper hand right away, a minimum amount of plants are not equip to compete it. The plant to fish ratio must be heavier on the plant side.
And one thing to consider is the difference between true algae, and cyanobacteria (many people confuse them).
Cyanobacteria can make use of any nutrients they have access to, different species of true plants have specific needs
Algae usually feels gritty to the touch, cyanobacteria feels slimy.
I have also used Rid-X to outcompete Cyanobacteria.
View attachment 1530871View attachment 1530872
Left pic, Cyanobacteria trying to take over a log in one of my former tanks, right, that same log after a little over a month, dosing with Rid-X
Rid-X contains a powdered form of inert probiotic benefial aerobes that compete for nutrients with nuisance algae, and cyanobacteria.
They are made for, and normally added tp septic systems. I get Rid-X from the hardware store.
Thank you both Deadeye and Duanes! With this info, I may take live plants with more serious consideration.

Reactions: Deadeye and AR1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store