My other hobby

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Love burled bowls, vases, etc. Can I ask what trees the wood originated from?
Ah, should have posted that. :)

The bowl in first two photos is black cherry burl and the other piece is yellow birch with some spalting (fine black lines or other coloration caused by fungi) and a couple of small bark inclusions.

...or if you mean where do I source my wood, I live practically right in the middle of hundreds of square miles of national forest (mid-Atlantic region), so most of it's collected from downed trees and branches, etc. besides what I have on my own property (16 acres, probably 15 tree species) and what's given to me occasionally. Just a few miles from here is a somewhat isolated road through a stretch of national forest with a lot of cherry trees and hundreds burls on them, so I scout it for downed trees a few times a year. There's another, similar area about an hour from my place, I get there maybe once or twice a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: deeda and RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Ahhh, my guess was black cherry burl on the first bowl. My BIL gave my wife and I large black cherry burl vase last year, sourced from a talented wood worker in Eastern Canada. Incredible piece, I’ve always been a fan of burl pieces.

Reactions: neutrino
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store