super red monkey diagram

sarmatian07

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2020
Hi I have a SRM Flowerhorn but am not sure this is SRM Flowerhorn or other american cichlid.... he is around 8 inches in size. can u guys please help me in finding this??? If this Flowerhorn is SRM then will it fade or this is the permanent colour?
Outwardly, it looks like a red monkey, but time will tell whether the fading gene will be active.

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
That looks like a SRM to me, but not 100% sure.

If it hasn't faded yet, there's a good chance he may never fade. Most fish that will fade do it between 4-6" in my experience, but there are some outliers that will fade earlier or later. Midas and red devils bred for the aquarium trade have probably been selected for many generations to fade early because the public doesn't recognize unfaded ones and they don't sell.

I recommend feeding a food that will enhance the red pigment, because whether he fades or not, he will look better with richer red and brown coloration. Foods like Hikari Blood Red Parrot pellets or Tetra ColorBits will bring out red pigments within a few weeks.

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
This is my SRM, he hasn't faded but is definitely the favourite fish of our household. He is now around 10 inches and full of personality. Just over 3 years old and sterile

IMG_20200517_234049~2.jpg

IMG_20200517_234043.jpg

IMG_20191231_175040.jpg

Reactions: sarmatian07

sarmatian07

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2020
Young SRM also show amphilophus barring and look a lot like a juvenile red devil/ midas and not at all like young viejas.
I also noticed this feature. Perhaps the remaining 25% of the Amphilophus Citrinellus gene will provide this trait in young SRMs. Thinking more and more about the secret of SRM, I came up with the idea to change the scheme and use a male Vieja fenestratus pink and a female red parrot to get F2 redsyn. This approach will allow you to get a faded two-blooded hybrid vieja. The genotype of this hybrid will include 25% Cichlasoma synspilum, 50% Vieja fenestratus and 25% Amphilophus Citrinellus.

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
I am not so sure of any amph having a strong presence with srm. I attached a few of mine while growing up. I only see vieja in there. It probably has amph in there somewhere but it might be something like a Rose Queen male with vieja hybrid female. Thinking vieja fenestratus normal morph crossed with synspilum as the hybrid. However might be fertile blood parrot male to a female. A lady near me has a fertile pair and the offspring so not breed all parrots, some chunky, some vieja, some orange etc again all trial and error but kudos for sticking with it

IMG_20191018_224514.jpg

IMG_20190903_214226.jpg

IMG_20191103_211034.jpg

Thewyatt15

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2021
Missouri
I want to bring this back to life because I have several questions. I'll start with the base question. What makes an SRM separate from a veija fader or SRS? Is it breed, cahracteristics, both, neither?

sarmatian07

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2020
I want to bring this back to life because I have several questions. I'll start with the base question. What makes an SRM separate from a veija fader or SRS? Is it breed, cahracteristics, both, neither?
I have not come across a clear classification with a description of the characteristics inherent in a particular breed derived from hybrid vieja. SRMs are best described as they have come a long way of inbreeding. SRS on numerous videos from youtube is presented as a fader or unfader form. And they are all very different from each other. For example

or
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ic9JHnPwta4

At the same time, vieja fader, I would rather call it vieja hybrid fader, has significant differences from both SRM and SRS.

Thewyatt15

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2021
Missouri
The reason I ask; I posted a video of my SRM female and her unknown hybrid fader male. I was abruptly messaged by a breeder I'm friends with on FB stating to take down my post because she's not a TRUE SRM. When I asked for the differences vs. Similarities I wasn't met with much information and told to do my own research. So, here I am. And what's not so much baffling as frustrating is the fact that it seems most people have a guess as to what SRM is made of, but no actual facts, logs, or information to derive from. I get

sarmatian07

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2020
The reason I ask; I posted a video of my SRM female and her unknown hybrid fader male. I was abruptly messaged by a breeder I'm friends with on FB stating to take down my post because she's not a TRUE SRM. When I asked for the differences vs. Similarities I wasn't met with much information and told to do my own research. So, here I am. And what's not so much baffling as frustrating is the fact that it seems most people have a guess as to what SRM is made of, but no actual facts, logs, or information to derive from. I get
I also encountered a lack of information about SRM in aquarium publications and then I began to read hot comments on pictures with SRM on Thai farm sites. Tough statements and criticism of the presented fish sometimes gives the necessary information.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store