Top 10 cichlids B4 I die

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I 1st started keeping cichlids in @ 1958,
But back then there were only a smattering of what eventually became what is available today, it wasn't until the late 80s my list started to take shape.
There are actually 11 cichlids on the list, although many others fell within the cichlids cracks
Number 10 way back then, and the 1st "exotic" cichlid I was able to keep, was Parachromis managuense around 1988
IMG_3846.jpeg

It took almost 10 years for the next mile stone to appear,
#9 a major coup appeared 2008 when Nandopsis haitiensus showed up on the GCCA website close to my section of the woods

Around the same time, ( the late 2000s) Madagascan cichlids of the genus Paretroplus started being imported, and #8 P menerambo a major obsession hit the scene
along with 3 other species, I lump together as 1 number on the list in the genus hit my tanks
https://hosting.photobucket.com/alb...tuce002-1.jpg?width=320&height=320&fit=bounds, https://hosting.photobucket.com/alb...ghres/050.jpg?width=320&height=320&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/alb...222.jpg?width=320&height=320&fit=boundsThings
Things really started moving at this point, and my next golden fleece appeared (again in the GCCAs classifieds)
in 2013, I found #7 when I finally got my hands on Mayaheros beanii

At this point I realized drastic measures were needed to get this list fullfiled before I croaked
So in 2015, I moved to Panama, I had come to the reality that collecting cichlids myself was the only way to beat oncoming doom,
And once Covid restrictions let up, 2024 has been like winning the cichlid lottery for me.
I collected and now keep #8 both at the same time.
Darienheros calobrense, and Isthmoheros tuyrense
IMG_0208.jpeg

But I have now come to the conclusion, with geography, and the remaining time left on my odometer, the last 3 will probably remain an unfulfilled pipe dream.
Iranocichla hormuuzensis is at best, a political nightmare for an old Gringo like me.
Heterochromis multidens will obviously never get to Panama.
And in order to get Nandopsis ramsdeni, it would take a collecting trip to eastern Cuba, probably too ambitious at this stage of geezerness.
Isthmoheros tuyrense below.
IMG_5816.jpeg

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I 1st started keeping cichlids in @ 1958,
But back then there were only a smattering of what eventually became what is available today, it wasn't until the late 80s my list started to take shape.
There are actually 11 cichlids on the list, although many others fell within the cichlids cracks
Number 10 way back then, and the 1st "exotic" cichlid I was able to keep, was Parachromis managuense around 1988
View attachment 1541293

It took almost 10 years for the next mile stone to appear,
#9 a major coup appeared 2008 when Nandopsis haitiensus showed up on the GCCA website close to my section of the woods

Around the same time, ( the late 2000s) Madagascan cichlids of the genus Paretroplus started being imported, and #8 P menerambo a major obsession hit the scene
along with 3 other species, I lump together as 1 number on the list in the genus hit my tanks
https://hosting.photobucket.com/alb...tuce002-1.jpg?width=320&height=320&fit=bounds, https://hosting.photobucket.com/alb...ghres/050.jpg?width=320&height=320&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/alb...222.jpg?width=320&height=320&fit=boundsThings
Things really started moving at this point, and my next golden fleece appeared (again in the GCCAs classifieds)
in 2013, I found #7 when I finally got my hands on Mayaheros beanii

At this point I realized drastic measures were needed to get this list fullfiled before I croaked
So in 2015, I moved to Panama, I had come to the reality that collecting cichlids myself was the only way to beat oncoming doom,
And once Covid restrictions let up, 2024 has been like winning the cichlid lottery for me.
I collected and now keep #8 both at the same time.
Darienheros calobrense, and Isthmoheros tuyrense
View attachment 1541296

But I have now come to the conclusion, with geography, and the remaining time left on my odometer, the last 3 will probably remain an unfulfilled pipe dream.
Iranocichla hormuuzensis is at best, a political nightmare for an old Gringo like me.
Heterochromis multidens will obviously never get to Panama.
And in order to get Nandopsis ramsdeni, it would take a collecting trip to eastern Cuba, probably too ambitious at this stage of geezerness.
Isthmoheros tuyrense below.
View attachment 1541297
I thought Geophagus Crassilabrus was on your list.

Reactions: AR1

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I thought Geophagus Crassilabrus was on your list.
Crassilabrus is, but one of those in the cracks, until moving to Panama, and not an obsession like some of the others, although I'm going to try collecting in a couple slightly more west/central rivers in a week or so

I'd also like to do redos on a couple other Panamanians, such a Tomocichla asfraci.
For me, my personal measure of success involve at least one auccessful spawning and raising fry to maturity.
I had asfaci a couple times in the past, and they spawned, but never got beyond the egg stage.
And although T asfaci is Panamanian, it is from the opposite side of the country, involving a minimum 6 hour bus ride each way, a few days in a hotel, and an iffy survival rate after being collected.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Which of these species that you did attain was the most impressive or otherwise enjoyable? If you can even say, of course.
Hard to pin down, but the genus Paretroplus was most impressive, and challenging.
Reaching about 18 inches for menerambo, and about 10" tall, it preferred to live in a complicated hierarchal shoal dynamic..
When fertile, menerambo (kieineri, nourisatti and P maculates) produced bright red eggs.

And the "can opener" like teeth for extracting snail flesh out of shells
But I also found Paretroplus, extremely frustrating
Although all Paretroplus species easily spawned many times, I never was never able to crack the code of getting past the egg stage.
And if the shoal population dynamic became interrupted, chaos often ensued
.https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/i97/dstuer/kieneri/.highres/kspawn009.jpg?width=320&height=320&fit=bounds

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Wow, they do look impressive, i can just imagine all the iridescent hues the camera is not capturing. Ive never seen such a community in person.

How would you rank their aggression? Did you need to separate them from the shoal when spawning?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
They were only aggressive with their own species, when the shoal dynamic was disturbed.
I came to understand (and believe) my 6 ft tanks, were really not adequate, and why I moved the shoal to a 400 + gallon kiddy pool.
Supposedly my pH was similar to the lakes they came from, so I doubt water parameters were a problem.
But it has been theorized that mechanical sounds from pumps, may have been problematic.
Paretroplus, along with Etroplus have an entirely different way of perceiving sound than all other cichlids, and may be extremely sensitive.

troublesum

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Astoria, NY
Hard to pin down, but the genus Paretroplus was most impressive, and challenging.
Reaching about 18 inches for menerambo, and about 10" tall, it preferred to live in a complicated hierarchal shoal dynamic..
When fertile, menerambo (kieineri, nourisatti and P maculates) produced bright red eggs.

And the "can opener" like teeth for extracting snail flesh out of shells
But I also found Paretroplus, extremely frustrating
Although all Paretroplus species easily spawned many times, I never was never able to crack the code of getting past the egg stage.
And if the shoal population dynamic became interrupted, chaos often ensued
.https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/i97/dstuer/kieneri/.highres/kspawn009.jpg?width=320&height=320&fit=bounds
Those last ones remind me of spotted Dambas

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store