losing fish faith help!

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
Dont worry about it. Youll see your progress later on.. People make fun of me when i say i do water changes every 3 days... But nobody laughs when they see how my fish look like and how active they all are. Just take solace in the fact that you are doing the right thing to make that creature live best.

meluvmeosky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2006
michigan
I have a albino tiger oscar, a green terror, and a lima shovelnose with a senagel bichir in a 100 gallon and i do water changes on that and all my other tanks every sunday. i have had my oscar and GT about a year and a half and the oscar is 10" and the GT is 4", just got the bichir and the lima i got about 5 months ago and had gown maybe an inch and a half, had GT and oscar since they were babys. feed pellets and rosys.

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
I have a albino tiger oscar, a green terror, and a lima shovelnose with a senagel bichir in a 100 gallon and i do water changes on that and all my other tanks every sunday. i have had my oscar and GT about a year and a half and the oscar is 10" and the GT is 4", just got the bichir and the lima i got about 5 months ago and had gown maybe an inch and a half, had GT and oscar since they were babys. feed pellets and rosys.
What kind of pellets are you feeding them?

Stop feeding them live feeders, they are not healthy nor are they nutritional. Instead buy some beefheart from any local fish store and feed the fish that couple of times a week – makes them grow fast. Also you can introduce other variety to their diet; earthworms, frozen bloodworms, and there is all kinds of other stuff you can find in pet stores – variation in diet is a good thing.

In my personal experience fish that are stressed out do not grow as fast, make sure everyone in your tank has a hiding spot. It provides them with a hiding spot and something to protect.

How big are your water changes? What is the filtration on the tank?

meluvmeosky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2006
michigan
I do 20 percent water changes each week, there are lots of places to hide in the tank but for some reason the lima doesnt hide anymore the oscar never hide he's always following me around the apartment from his tank. As for filtration i have two hang on back filters rated for 75 gallons each. All the fish get along most of the time, the GT can get kinda picky but usually hes alright. I'd like to stop feeding rosies but lima and bichir wont eat anything else GT and Oscar as you can imagine eat everything. using hikori (? spelling) pellets.

stotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
essex uk

The problem is a GT is a slow growing fish took 2 years for me to get one to a propper size. Jags grow like mad things stick with it :thumbsup:

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
My lima shovelnose within a 8-10months grew about 5-6 inches.. he's about 10inches now so he grows maybe 1/2 inch-inch per month he eats nls pellets and loves them. My bf trained it to eat them, the tank has a rule - dont eat pellets... then dont eat.. so eventually they get hungry and eat the pellets.. its worked out pretty good so far all have been succesfull =) Anywho my JD I've had for 4-5 months now grew like maybe an inch.. its growing slow 2 some fish just grow slower than others...

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
A year and a half and he's only 4 inches? That's nuts. I have had a GT for literally just over a month, he was 1 inch when I got him, and he's already 3 inches. He's grown quick, quicker than the firemouth and salvini he's in with by far. And he's only in a 30 gallon at the moment.

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
My lima shovelnose within a 8-10months grew about 5-6 inches.. he's about 10inches now so he grows maybe 1/2 inch-inch per month he eats nls pellets and loves them. My bf trained it to eat them, the tank has a rule - dont eat pellets... then dont eat.. so eventually they get hungry and eat the pellets.. its worked out pretty good so far all have been succesfull =) Anywho my JD I've had for 4-5 months now grew like maybe an inch.. its growing slow 2 some fish just grow slower than others...
That's all well and good ash unless you have wild caught predators that have almost no chance of eating pellets :D Especially predators that could do a lot of damage to your other fish if they got hungry.

However, my lima has eaten pellets ever since Ive had him. He loves sinking pellets, stuffs himself everytime.

veurruckte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2006
USA
That's all well and good ash unless you have wild caught predators that have almost no chance of eating pellets :D Especially predators that could do a lot of damage to your other fish if they got hungry.

However, my lima has eaten pellets ever since Ive had him. He loves sinking pellets, stuffs himself everytime.
I bet most wild caught predators can be trained to eat prepared food. Though I can't say I've owned wild fish.

To back up Ash's advice, my old Green Terror would only eat live or freeze dried food. I fed only pellets for two weeks, and it finally started eating them.

<off topic>
Vitaliy: What *nix OS do you run?
</off topic>

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store