Rainbow Snakehead // Channa bleheri

Oplr

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2010
UK
Just seen one of these pop up on the others list of a fish retailer that I buy from.

I haven't been able to find much info about them around the net. I wanna know more about this fish before buying it. Most people say they are escape artists, how woukd I prevent this? My tank at the moment has a standard lid on? I hear this fish can live for 3 days without water and that a snakehead is lethal animal etc, I read that this one is smaller, but the only thing I've kept similar before was a weather loach lol. I read that it needs specific food to be fed to survive I was wondering if I could get any of their diet at the local super market or does it strictly have to be live food? I swear someone said you can feed them mussels, could I buy a bag of them from the super market and feed them or do they need to be live? What tank size are these supposed to be housed in and how long do they take to get bigger?

if anyone could offer me anymore advice on them It'd be greatly appreciated.

Tabby7

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2012
London/Bangalore
Hi

It's a relatively easy Channa to keep especially temperature wise if you're in the UK as that's what I see. The following is what is required to keep Channa bleheri:

1. At least a 3 footer having a depth of 15 inches and a breadth of 15 inches if you're keeping 2 or 3 but make sure you have them as species only.
2. The golden rule with Channa is not to have any big enough spaces/holes in the hood for them to escape and it should be tight fitted.
3. Plenty of bogwood, densely planted and make sure you've some floating plants or the plants in the tank reaching the surface. The filter flow should be very mild and water changes should be very rare maybe 3-4 times a year.
4. C.bleheri will do well in temperatures between 17-21 degrees at most times of the year but slightly warmer temparatures during summers are fine.
5. Not fussy eaters you needn't get live stuff as they would take frozen/dry shrimp, prawn, mussel, blood worm, small feeders and you can even wean them into pellets over time if you're lucky.
6. Would ideally get to about 8 inch maximum. A three inches bleheri can get to six inches in 3-6 months if kept well. Again, these don't need to be fed everyday, thrice a week maximum in small portions.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tabby

Oplr

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2010
UK
Hi

It's a relatively easy Channa to keep especially temperature wise if you're in the UK as that's what I see. The following is what is required to keep Channa bleheri:

1. At least a 3 footer having a depth of 15 inches and a breadth of 15 inches if you're keeping 2 or 3 but make sure you have them as species only.
2. The golden rule with Channa is not to have any big enough spaces/holes in the hood for them to escape and it should be tight fitted.
3. Plenty of bogwood, densely planted and make sure you've some floating plants or the plants in the tank reaching the surface. The filter flow should be very mild and water changes should be very rare maybe 3-4 times a year.
4. C.bleheri will do well in temperatures between 17-21 degrees at most times of the year but slightly warmer temparatures during summers are fine.
5. Not fussy eaters you needn't get live stuff as they would take frozen/dry shrimp, prawn, mussel, blood worm, small feeders and you can even wean them into pellets over time if you're lucky.
6. Would ideally get to about 8 inch maximum. A three inches bleheri can get to six inches in 3-6 months if kept well. Again, these don't need to be fed everyday, thrice a week maximum in small portions.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tabby
My tank at the moment is 36 Long by 15 wide and 18 high, so this can house 2? The tank has spent 6 months being cycled by gold fish and all is well now.
I'm assuming the plants are to mimic it's environment, does that mean they have to be real or can I stack my tank with fake plants? If possible I'd rather avoid the whole possible snail outbreak.
So if I left my lid as it is, cover the gaps with tape maybe and weigh the lid down slightly, it should be all good?
How often do they try and escape, If I go to cut the bag they aren't gonna try are they?
I can buy frozen mussels from supermarkets and feed them them? If so do I need to prepare them in anyway?

Tabby7

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2012
London/Bangalore
Your current tank should be good and yes you can stalk up fake plants if you don't want the hassle just that the natural ones are better. The lid as you mentioned above should hold well and it's not that they escape all the time, they do initially or when they feel they're not at home. Once they've settled in they should calm down. Also, bleheri are not aggressive mean machines which are going to jump seeing the sight of open space, they should stay relaxed and one of the least aggressive snakeheads around.

Oplr

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2010
UK
Someone said that it's pointless to keep a rainbow snakehead on its own, don't know why though? Maybe you could enlighten me.
You said the tank can house two or three, if it is pointless to keep one, how would I get a pair without them killing each other, because I don't have room to buy 6 and let the others pair off etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store