4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Younglin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
34-24-36
Of the fish.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
03142012.jpg

Crappy pic because of my uncooperative camera and minimal lighting on the 210. There are at least 7 different species in this pic. Can you name them?

Got 3 coats of Permadri Rubber Coat over the Ken fix. I forgot how long it takes each coat to dry, so it'll take me another 2 nights of coats to finish. Worth the effort, I think.

Had to stop and go unearth 5 redfoot tortoise eggs because I caught one of our females laying. We now have 15 eggs and 1 hatchling in the incubator. First clutch from largest female started hatching a couple days ago; 1 so far. The subsequent 2 clutches are from another female. Her first was in January, then she laid 3 which cracked on the floor in the sunroom, and then the clutch tonight.

03142012.jpg

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
View attachment 757918

Crappy pic because of my uncooperative camera and minimal lighting on the 210. There are at least 7 different species in this pic. Can you name them?
Thats easy Giant Gourami, Festivum, Prochilodus, Distichodus sexfasciatus, Tinfoil barb, silver dollars, Banded Leporinus.

:D

galabar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2011
Bellevue, WA
My tank currently is around 85 cents per gallon US. That's better than the $1 per gallon sales the big box pet emporiums have.

Ken was over tonight and we have a plan. I'm not going to divulge the plan until the plan is executed. I believe it will work and Ken was emphatic about doing it, so I have to give the man a chance to do his idea. I will say it does not involve any kind of resin or fiberglass :p
Well, to be fair, you need to count the number of hours you (and others) have spent on the construction. How many cents/dollars per gallon is it if you value your time at $50/hour? :)

galabar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2011
Bellevue, WA
If we all went by that, none of us would own tanks.....just sayin'. :p
Well, to be fair, you need to count the number of hours you (and others) have spent on the construction. How many cents/dollars per gallon is it if you value your time at $50/hour? :)
Ah, well, if we consider the "fun" in the hobby, then we don't need to count the hours spent. However, if there are things that you are doing at aren't "fun," and there are completely manufactured solutions, then you do need to start counting the pennies of your time. :)

For example, if you wanted to build a 100 gallon tank out of plywood and you considered this "fun" (I would, if I had the time to try it), then you might say that you got it cheaper than the $1/gallon sale tank at PetCo. However, if building the tank isn't "fun" and you are more into raising fish, then that time building the tank takes away from the reset of your life and you need to count the time input in the total cost of the tank.

Just sayin'.

If I were the OP, I think I would count most of the work on the tank as "fun," but this last part has been less "fun," so should be counted towards the cost of the tank. When it became less "fun" and when he wanted to move on to actually raising the fish, only he can say (but there is a post that punctuates it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store