How to help shocked fish

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
How do you help a shocked fish recover? For example when you got the fish you immediately dumped the fish into the tank without floating the bag, and checking ph level, what can be done for the fish?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

skald89

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Fresh meadows - Queens, NY
If you still have the water from the bag, put it back in there. This time acclimate the fish properly.

If you don't have the water, all you can do is hope for the best.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Uhh to clarify skald's post, that should only be done IMMEDIATELY if possible. Like, you put the fish in the tank, realize your mistake, and then catch it out within 1 minute or so. Any longer and the fish's body will have already started to adjust to the parameters of the new water. Putting it back in the old water will cause the fish's osmotic processes to reverse, causing additional stress.

NOTE: Fluctuating parameters are MUCH WORSE for a fish than a single jump to new parameters. Most of the time fish are fine without acclimation as long as the parameters of the new water are similar to those of the old water. Professional aquarium maintenance companies rarely acclimate fish for their clients because they are aware of the water quality and there is no time to acclimate during a service visit.

So you're probably better off just leaving it in the tank at this point. If the pH's and temperatures were similar I wouldn't worry too much.

Keep in mind that it's easier for a fish to jump to a higher pH/KH than a lower one, and it's easier to jump to a lower temperature than a higher one.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Uhh to clarify skald's post, that should only be done IMMEDIATELY if possible. Like, you put the fish in the tank, realize your mistake, and then catch it out within 1 minute or so. Any longer and the fish's body will have already started to adjust to the parameters of the new water. Putting it back in the old water will cause the fish's osmotic processes to reverse, causing additional stress.

NOTE: Fluctuating parameters are MUCH WORSE for a fish than a single jump to new parameters. Most of the time fish are fine without acclimation as long as the parameters of the new water are similar to those of the old water. Professional aquarium maintenance companies rarely acclimate fish for their clients because they are aware of the water quality and there is no time to acclimate during a service visit.

So you're probably better off just leaving it in the tank at this point. If the pH's and temperatures were similar I wouldn't worry too much.

Keep in mind that it's easier for a fish to jump to a higher pH/KH than a lower one, and it's easier to jump to a lower temperature than a higher one.
Spot on

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
thanks , I guess its really my fault :( The fish was given to me in a small plastic container with a dc air pump.
its been in my office for about 10 hours, when i got home, I assumed Ph should be the same, tanks ph is 7.5 but I'm not sure about the containers ph. the temperature in my tank was warmer than the container, I always thought just ph , its more omk to go into higher ph than lower ph, the same for temp, i thought it was ok to go into warmer temp than lower temp, so its the opposite for temp :(
i noticed the fish swimming last nigh with his whole body instead of just tail and fins. the fins were a little cloudy,
guess not much i can do anymore, I just added some salt, 1 tablespoon for every 5 gallon, the fins seem to have cleared up, still not sure if he's going to make it though.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
he likely has ammonia related issues not ph ones. unless there was a sponge filter running the water would have been poor by the time he got home.. in these cases its usually best to just dump the fish into the tank and cross your fingers. i founf turning the light off and walking away is the best thing to do to keep stress at a min.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
he likely has ammonia related issues not ph ones. unless there was a sponge filter running the water would have been poor by the time he got home.. in these cases its usually best to just dump the fish into the tank and cross your fingers. i founf turning the light off and walking away is the best thing to do to keep stress at a min.
thanks, yup... might be ammonia in the container, when i got home, I just dumped him into the tank and threw away the water in his container.
hope he recovers.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
I think he's going to make it :) When i got home, his swimming seems to be normal, and he's in front of the glass.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
need advise with new fish :( ,
I'm not really sure what happened to him, I bought him from a friends nephew, but he was only delivered to me by my friend.
what would you guys advise, also what do you guys suspect is wrong with it? i'm currently treating it with Azoo anti endoparasite.
But I don't think it has any worms or Hexamita. what would be the best approach to treating it? its really frustrating to see him like this.

[video=youtube_share;ZeqkjE1Vj40]http://youtu.be/ZeqkjE1Vj40[/video]

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
..........Keep in mind that it's........ easier to jump to a lower temperature than a higher one.
Wow, I was told the opposite when I was a kid--> that a sudden chill can stress them & make them susceptible to ich.
I always aim for either the same temp, or just a bit higher. Never had any shock going to warmer.
?
It's funny if I've done it wrong successfully, for soooo many years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store