Jellybean cichlids are Hybrids

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2012
Maryland
For those of you that think jellybean cichlids are not hybrids here a pic of a jellybean cichlid (blood parrot x pink convict), if jellybean cichlids are not hybrids then what are blood parrot x pink convict considered?

4-baby-bubble-gum-parrot-cichlid[1].jpg

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
Oregon, it's part of 'Murica!
No they are not. Blood Parrot x Pink Convict is to be considered Blood Parrot x Pink Convict. Dyed or undyed Jellybean Parrots, the fish commercially sold at local fish stores, are nothing more than Pink Convicts with the short body deformity gene. Blood Parrot x Convict MAY be called Jellybean Parrot but they are not same fish as the fish sold in local stores. Will breeding Parrot x Convict produce something similar to these "Jellybean Parrots"? Yes they will but they are only similar and NOT THE SAME FISH. Two different fish, two different genetic makeups. Is it possible someone local breeds Parrot x Convict then takes them a local store which inturn are sold as Jellybeans? Yes, I do believe that happens but on the whole these are not the same fish that are supplied to fish stores by wholesale.

These fish pictured, the ones that are COMMERCIALLY SOLD to local fish stores are nothing more than short body Pink Convicts. They are pure, deformed, convict.

ParrotFish.jpg
dwarf_jellybean_convict.jpg
PW07.jpg
post-3082-1259182331.jpg

SOME of the Short Body Texas Cichlids sold are hybrids and but MOST are "pure" Herichthys Texas. Not way to tell if they might be crosses of Carpintis or Cyano but they are pure at least to the genus Herichthys.

IMG_0661.jpg

Short Body Green Terror are pure at least to their genus but again are not hybrids with Parrots. Its impossible for them to hybrid with Parrots, much less with any other Central American Cichlid or even South American other than those within their genus.

gt03.jpg

Disregard any common names like Jellybean Parrot. My whole point is

1. The fish being sold at local stores everywhere are Leucistic Amatitlania Nigrofasciata (Convict Cichlid) with a short body deformity.
2. Just because you breed Fish A x Fish B does not make it Fish C. The fish you bred are not the same kind of fish being sold by local fish stores.

ParrotFish.jpg

dwarf_jellybean_convict.jpg

PW07.jpg

post-3082-1259182331.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

gt03.jpg

ErnieG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2012
Maryland
Those pics of the convicts are hybrids, when i did parrot x pink convict my offspring were exactly like those fish.

No they are not. Blood Parrot x Pink Convict is to be considered Blood Parrot x Pink Convict. Dyed or undyed Jellybean Parrots, the fish commercially sold at local fish stores, are nothing more than Pink Convicts with the short body deformity gene. Blood Parrot x Convict MAY be called Jellybean Parrot but they are not same fish as the fish sold in local stores. Will breeding Parrot x Convict produce something similar to these "Jellybean Parrots"? Yes they will but they are only similar and NOT THE SAME FISH. Two different fish, two different genetic makeups. Is it possible someone local breeds Parrot x Convict then takes them a local store which inturn are sold as Jellybeans? Yes, I do believe that happens but on the whole these are not the same fish that are supplied to fish stores by wholesale.

These fish pictured, the ones that are COMMERCIALLY SOLD to local fish stores are nothing more than short body Pink Convicts. They are pure, deformed, convict.

View attachment 869091
View attachment 869092
View attachment 869093
View attachment 869094

SOME of the Short Body Texas Cichlids sold are hybrids and but MOST are "pure" Herichthys Texas. Not way to tell if they might be crosses of Carpintis or Cyano but they are pure at least to the genus Herichthys.

View attachment 869096

Short Body Green Terror are pure at least to their genus but again are not hybrids with Parrots. Its impossible for them to hybrid with Parrots, much less with any other Central American Cichlid or even South American other than those within their genus.

View attachment 869097

Disregard any common names like Jellybean Parrot. My whole point is

1. The fish being sold at local stores everywhere are Leucistic Amatitlania Nigrofasciata (Convict Cichlid) with a short body deformity.
2. Just because you breed Fish A x Fish B does not make it Fish C. The fish you bred are not the same kind of fish being sold by local fish stores.
What he said.

ErnieG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2012
Maryland
Lol you are mistaking im looking at those exact pics that you posted of the socalled shortbody convicts on google and yahoo images and in the caption it says results of pink convict male and bp female, I did the pairing bro and its no mistake that pink convict x parrot offspring look like the socalled shortbody gene they look alike because there is no shortbody any convict that has shortbody had an encounter with a BP.

Texas x parrot shows the exact same thing, and i never seen texas x texas yeild shortbodies by them selves.

ErnieG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2012
Maryland
Jellybean cichlids were originally blood parrots with food coloring injections but when the pink convict x blood parrot pairing came along they started calling them jellybean cichlids.

• Haha
Reactions: Thelatinofishlover

mr fishy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2012
florida
When it comes to hybrids Chris is always right. I would stop arguing now before you look insanely stupid and I agree those r just short body convicts

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krustyart

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
This thread opened up a can of beans..... ...wait for it.... Jellybeans!

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
One thing i learned. Or rather, two.

Do not debate nutrition with RD

do not debate hybrids and " oit of yhe ordinary cichlids " with chris.

Time lost. They know their stuff.

Reactions: Thelatinofishlover
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store