Jellybean cichlids are Hybrids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
Oregon, it's part of 'Murica!
In fact I have seen quite a few cross of that but with any Parrot crossing you do get at least some faders. And yes I have seen faders come from Pink Convict x Blood Parrot. Yet if that were the true parentage of the fish being sold as Jellybeans at the store you would see them being sold but they aren't. You NEVER a fader in with the Jellybeans. Not to mention you never see any of them with the true Parrot shape. With Parrot hybrids you do get some with that true Parrot shape. All you see are just fish with short bodies. ITS NOT THE SAME THING.

So again, yes you can get short body fish from crossing in Parrot BUT the fish being sold as Jellybeans are NOT hybrids of Parrot and Convict.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Chris is 100% right. I saw the results of pink convict x blood parrots and they looks nothing like the jellybean parrots you saw. And I know Chris did saw the cross before. You are argue with a blood parrot guru with excellent knowledge when it comes to the hybrids!!!!

ice blue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2010
Fort worth
<sarcasm> No bro you are right, if I read something on Google or Yahoo it is correct regardless. I forgot how the internet works for a minute, thanks for setting me straight bro. But wait! If they were Blood Parrot hybrids then why don't some fade to Yellow/Orange like Blood Parrot hybrids do? Hmm, do I listen to common sense or what some search engine is telling me? I don't know man, I just don't know. </sarcasm>
You were owned here man..... I think you should stop

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ErnieG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2012
Maryland
All you guys are all a board the chris train i see lol, but i apologize the parrot x pink convict cross is called bumblegum cichlids.

I didnt get owned at all because i did this pairing and my results were these pics of shortbody convicts.

I have only one question how was these shortbodies created? could someone answer that?

ErnieG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2012
Maryland
Chris is 100% right. I saw the results of pink convict x blood parrots and they looks nothing like the jellybean parrots you saw. And I know Chris did saw the cross before. You are argue with a blood parrot guru with excellent knowledge when it comes to the hybrids!!!!
Dude you didnt see the results of a pink convict x parrot cross because they look just jellybean cichlids.

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
Oregon, it's part of 'Murica!
When a fish shows the short body gene, which naturally occurs in nature, you breed that fish then breed the offspring showing the trait back to the parent. Its a cycle of breeding back to the parent till you have strong line. Same way they breed albinos, its called line breeding.

Bubblegum and Jellybean are the same common name used to describe the same fish, although Bubblegum is more commonly used by stores in describing Dyed Blood Parrots as opposed to dyed or undyed Short Body Pink Convicts.

krustyart

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
ErnieG, have you ever heard of "Random Mutation"?

The shortbody gene is a random mutation that has happend multiple times and in several different species of fish. The mutation decreases the number of vertebrae in the spine.

Using your logic, how did the first Albino fish come into being? What was crossed with it to bring the albino gene in to it? The simple answer is that a random mutation occurred. Someone liked that mutation and bred for it, increasing the number of fish that showed the mutation. How many different species of fish have Albinos? Lots huh? Are all those fish out there hybrids? Most are not. So that means the mutation must have happened over and over and over. We humans only noticed it a few times since we have not been recording fish mutations for millions of years!

What is so hard to understand about that?

Of course Jellybeans look like Parrot/Convict hybrids. They both have a mutation that causes similar body shape and since they are both based on Central American Cichlids and are "melanin reduced", there is going to be a huge amount of SUPERFICIAL similarity in appearance.

Reactions: Thelatinofishlover

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Dude you didnt see the results of a pink convict x parrot cross because they look just jellybean cichlids.
How you know that I don't see the results of a pink convict x parrot cross?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store