Kelberi, Bahia, Gold, 24K - Whats the difference?

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
Here lately I've doing some research on Kelberi and I see a lot of different names for the Kels.

What is the deal with the names such as Bahia, 24k, Gold, etc.? I see that 24k look better than what people call Kelberi, are these from a different collection point or what? When I look at Kens and mine, they look different and the so called 24k look even better. Does this have anything to do with wild caught or captive breed or are the 24k breed to look like they do such as super red texas breeding to get that blood red and pearl look?

Are all of the bass below the same or is one a Kel, Bahia and 24k because each one looks totally different.

imagesCA0N1X5X.jpg

imagesCAZ4PHNR.jpg

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
The top left and bottom pics you posted are both cb bahias, but some of the stuff you see like gold or gold spider are sale gimmicks. When you see rio araguaia or doce those are collection points, 24k or ceara are specific collection points also but the difference is that the ones that begin with rio something or the other are telling you the specific collection point. With kels imo the wc ones always look better than the cb ones....yours and kens are both cb and 24k's are wc.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
The top left and bottom pics you posted are both cb bahias, but some of the stuff you see like gold or gold spider are sale gimmicks. When you see rio araguaia or doce those are collection points, 24k or ceara are specific collection points also but the difference is that the ones that begin with rio something or the other are telling you the specific collection point. With kels imo the wc ones always look better than the cb ones....yours and kens are both cb and 24k's are wc.
Agreed. But, the last picture in ops original post are wild bahias. That is where ken's and most of our F1 bahias came from those are the parents.

As for a 24k/ceara only 300 came in and not to many people have them. I know of one person on the east coast that has one and the rest are all on the west coast and mountain area.

This is my ceara.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1360128614.835998.jpg

This is my male and female ceara and a Rapps third batch. I also have a F1 Bahia. But it's ugly. ;)

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1360128634.140793.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Sorry for the double post, but you can see the F1 Bahia in this picture.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1360129689.219143.jpg

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Hayn, you and Gangster should make a kelberi Id thread that shows the differences between Bahias and wc and the differences between collection points like a sao Francisco vs a Rio araguaia.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Hayn, you and Gangster should make a kelberi Id thread that shows the differences between Bahias and wc and the differences between collection points like a sao Francisco vs a Rio araguaia.
I'm working on it. ;) I'm waiting on permission to use some photos.

rjkz28

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
Illinois
Agreed. But, the last picture in ops original post are wild bahias. That is where ken's and most of our F1 bahias came from those are the parents.

As for a 24k/ceara only 300 came in and not to many people have them. I know of one person on the east coast that has one and the rest are all on the west coast and mountain area.

This is my ceara.

View attachment 877700

This is my male and female ceara and a Rapps third batch. I also have a F1 Bahia. But it's ugly. ;)

View attachment 877702

Damn!! I need me a ceara!! Lookin good hayn!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store